[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, May 23-29, 2014

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, May 23-29, 2014

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham,
which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page23

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 690, May 23 at 0526 UT, KGGF Coffeyville KS is still on with open carrier after ``sign-off`` just after 0500 UT, and presumably all-night until ``sign-on``. Under it I hear some French Canadian. Since there is least QRM when shooting thru Coffeyville, I at first think of Montréal, but CKGM there is now in English (only, I assume), so it must be CBKF-1, Gravelbourg, Saskatchewan, 5/5 kW U2, with CBC Première Chaîne. Oops, I mean ``Ici``, not to be confused with ``E.C.``. Officially the net is called  ``Ici Radio-Canada Première`` in a strange font mixing upper- and lower-case letters, impossible to convey in plain text or audibly (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==================

** U S A. 690, May 23 at 0526 UT, KGGF Coffeyville KS is still on with open carrier after ``sign-off`` just after 0500 UT, and presumably all-night until ``sign-on``. Under it I hear some French Canadian: see CANADA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1110, May 24 at 0140 UT, South Asian song vs KFAB talk, and somewhat nullable, making 212/minute = 3.53 Hz SAH. Has to be KVTT Mineral Wells TX; as mentioned with my log earlier this month, official FCC May sunset for it is 0130 UT, yet still on at 0146 UT; and 0147 UT, KVTT ID in English, plus more music. Even in June and July, that would be too late when the official sunsets are only 0145 UT. A PSSA was denied in 2007y when it was KJSA, so presumably still running 39 kW critical hours power; or if cheating anyway, why not keep it at 50? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1110, UT Sunday May 25 at 0140 UT, KFAB Omaha with Art Bell, and a caller discussing ``playing radio``, the FXwave (FM feeder) from C. Crane. Sounds a bit dated, as Art advises that web streaming is sufficient for voice, but marginal quality for music, as some guy is considering putting his show on the web. Aha, it seems ``Coast to Coast`` on UT Sundays at 0100-0500 UT is really from the archives:

``Art Bell: Somewhere in Time Sat 05-24: 6-10pm PT: Art Bell: Somewhere in Time returns to 2/1/96 for an evening of Open Lines, including such topics as disease, the demise of the human race, UFOs, and hauntings``

I was also hearing some S Asian music underneath presumably KVTT TX cheating again, but tonight much weaker than KFAB even with Omaha nulled (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1290, May 23 at 1145 UT, Imus with guest sounding like Dolly Parton, but does she *look* like Dolly? Can`t tell. First possibility KWFS Wichita Falls TX, which is a talker. NRC AM Log shows Imus is on the CM = Cumulus Media network, and KWFS is too, but not on the Imus station finder. He is however on KOIL Omaha NE at 5-8 am CT,
http://www.imus.com/station-list/category/nebraska
so very likely thence. But that listing can`t be trusted as current:

Imus` only OK affiliate is shown as KRVT 1270 Tulsa, which is a neat trick since it`s been KTUZ in Spanish since January.

Dolly is not on the huge roster of guests in alfabetical order by first name or title at
http://www.imus.com/guests/
We may have to wait until next week for the daily guest list to catch up, as on May 23 it stops at May 21:
http://www.imus.com/guestbook/week/2014-05-18-to-2014-05-24
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1300, May 24 at 0137 UT, Rockies Radio Network, also mentions High Plains Radio, plugs a rodeo, during pause in silly ballgame; NW/SE, good peaks but total fadeouts. It must be KBRL, McCook NE, which is in that group
http://www.highplainsradio.net/
and the only 1300 on the Colorado Rockies network
http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/col/schedule/col_schedule_tv_radio_affiliates.jsp
KBRL is 5000/136 watts U3. Has three major lobes, the one at 170 degrees close enough for us. Official May sunset is 0145 UT; June & July, 0215 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510, May 24 at 0134 UT, ad in English mentioning area code 785, which is northern KS, and loops NNW; there is no het so KCTE Independence MO must really be off the air, and this is the Larned KS station KNNS, no longer Spanish, as in NRC AM Switch 14 March 2014:

``1510 KNNS KS Larned – Format: TLK (was SS:MEX) Slogan Update: "The Patriot" Network Update: Fox/Ru/P/WW1 Adds //KRMR-105.7``

Larned, southwest of Great Bend, and KNNS`s address is there, is axually in the 620 area code, but not far from the 785 boundary, no doubt within its coverage area and/or that of its FM (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, May 24 at 0605 UT, ``KLBW, 1530, The Light and KLBW1530.com``, loud YL ID, preceded and followed by soft modulation if any. But not soft enough: this is a 2.5 kW ND daytimer ONLY, in New Boston TX, which is in the extreme NE corner, so far out, that if you head due north you`ll be in AR instead of OK; just west of Texarkana TX & AR. It is of course a religious station, which nullo modo keeps it from breaking the law (just ask Tony Alámo). Or was it an unpublicized DX test? Ha (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, May 25 at 0605 UT, KLBW ID by YL like exactly 24 hours earlier; her voice really stands out amid lots of QRM, including a fast SAH, caused by KLBW or not? This is the 2.5 kW ``daytimer`` in New Boston TX (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, May 27 at 0605 UT, KLBW still cheating, YL canned ID to ``Like us on Facebook, or KLBW1530.com`` and usual fast SAH; 0612 UT another ID as ``1530 The Light, KLBW1530.com``, separable from and certainly more pleasant than Brother Scare on WCKY. This is the 2.5 kW DAYTIMER in New Boston, northeast corner of Texas. I`d ``like`` it if they would obey the rules; but also would ``like`` it if other DXers have caught it as a result of my tips.

That URL forwards to: http://klbw1530.weebly.com/ which is titled ``Solid Gospel KLBW 1530 New Boston The Light of Bowie County`` but presenting a ``feed failed`` error message. It`s bare bones, and the LISTEN button leads instead to the other button, STAFF!
http://klbw1530.weebly.com/on-air-staff.html
by time block, and guess what, they do have staff for night: Jeremy Sweat at 7 pm-midnight, and Ed Evans at midnight - 5 am. So their cheating is institutionalized (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1723, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, May 28 at 0604, one more check for KLBW cheatin` daytimer heard three previous nites around now: instead frequency dominated by music, ``Baby-Love``, about same NW/SE bearing as for New Boston TX, but is opposite, ``Good Time Oldies on the I-25 Radio Network``, which means Colorado: KCMN Colorado Springs, but it`s got to be cheatin` too, as NRC AM Log shows it with 15000 watts day/00015 watts night! U1 i.e. non-direxional day and night. Will be interesting to follow which one is heard subsequently (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, May 29 at 0604 UT, another try for KLBW New Boston TX, cheating daytimer already heard thrice at this hour: instead, like last night, there is oldie music, no ID but 0606 UT segué; 0608 UT DJ mentions The Guess Who, caller on air with him. 0613 UT two Ad Council PSAs, so paid advertising to overlay them is sparse; 0615 UT back to music; 0617 UT, 866- toll free number ``is smokin```, takin` requests, but is it really live in the nightmiddle? Maybe so, altho typically immediate fulfillment of a request means it`s been taped a bit earlier. She gets what she wants, ``We Are the Champions``. 0624 UT next break brings ad for the I-25 Speedway, weather; 0626 UT joint ID first for KWRP 690 Pueblo, and then KCMN 1530 Colorado Springs, which are the two components of the ``I-25 Radio Network`` as heard last night at this time.

Thruout this period, and also last night, nothing more heard from KLBW, so it appears they have handed over cheatin` responsibility on 1530 to KCMN, which is supposed to be 15 watts night instead of 15 kW day. Note: no station would really want to run only 15 watts at night: no doubt this was the figure FCC came up with so KCMN would not have have to install an expensive direxional antenna system in order to run higher power at night. It might also have required a different transmitter site in order to put a usable signal into CS (or along I-25), or that might have been impossible considering the other stations which supposedly have to be protected.

Meanwhile, we are deprived of Brother Scare on WCKY Cincinnati, SOB! Looking at the NRC Pattern Book, however, WCKY`s pattern puts very little signal to the west, just as KFBK Sacramento puts very little signal to the east, and KGBT Harlingen puts very little signal to the north --- the big three 50 kW stations on 1530 (KGBT cut to 10 at night). From the map, there is such a gap in mid-America that it looks as if KCMN should be allowed to run full power at night, perhaps with a few nulls toward the other three. Checking FCC AM Query in case there has been some change? No, but they do have 1 kW for critical hours, and this signal could well be 1 instead of 15 kW; or somewhere in between (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 960, May 23 at 0504 UT just before the KGWA Foxhole of dead but hummy air concludes, I can make out amid the CCI, once again the orchestral version of ``Let It Be``, which somestation apparently plays (almost?) every night around this time. Would appreciate those further from Enid checking for this (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---