Grundig G8 w/whip; modified Sony ICF2010 w/whip

 This came from a Google group about
 10 yrs ago.

 With apologies to Larry Magne and the staff at PASSPORT from
 which
 this is plagiarized:

 * Tools: needle-nosed pliers, #2 Phillips screwdriver.
 Optional:
 straight ETHYL alcohol, Q-Tip, WHITE (NOT red which will
 cause
 corrosion) eraser.

 1) Remove all batteries and AC adapter

 2) Remove seven (7) Phillips screws from back panel, where
 they are
 marked by arrows - one in the battery cavity, one in each
 lower
 corner, and four at the top (including three under the
 antenna shaft
 which needs to be angled up).

 3) Lift off the back, placing the speaker to the right. Blow
 out any
 dust.

 4) Optional: Near the DC jack, where the AC adapter plugs
 in, is a
 small circuit board whioh is marked BATT+. Using the WHITE
 eraser,
 burnish the 10mm solder blob above BATT+. (Make sure eraser
 is, and
 stays, clean.) Blow away eraser dust and wipe blob with a
 clean cloth.

 5) Stretch the AA battery spring SLIGHTLY with needle-nosed
 pliers. BE
 CAREFUL and DO NOT BREAK the plastic base.

 6) Hold the back panel, inside facing you, with the antenna
 mount in
 the upper left corner. Near the lower left corner is a
 stainless-steel
 D cell battery tab; it has a pointed tip with a small hole
 and points
 up slightly. Use the pliers to bend that tip to the right
 about 3 mm.

 7) Hold the lowest coil of the D battery spring firmly in
 place with
 your finger and use the pliers to stretch the spring
 SLIGHTLY.

 8) Optional: Dip one end of the Q-Tip into the straight
 ETHYL alcohol,
 wipe off the excess, and then wipe the positive and
 negative
 battery-holder contacts (two springs and two tabs) for the
 AA and the
 D cells. Immediately burnish those same ends with the dry
 end of the
 Q-Tip.

 9) Replace the back panel, placing the short screw in the D
 battery
 cavity.

 10) Error 3 should be gone. If not, repeat procedure but at
 step 6
 tweak the pointed tip only and additional 1 or 2 mm.

 * Time: about 10 or 20 minutes.

 The above is out of the 2002 edition of PASSPORT. Hope it
 helps you.

 RobSC

 Rob Keeney
 Summerville SC

 On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM, <KH2AR@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote:

 > It appears my venerable old Sony ICF-2010 has ... at
 least for now ...
 > given up the ghost. I'm not ready to give up on it
 however. Does anyone
 > know of a good tech who I might contact for help with
 repairs/restoration?
 > Thanks for any suggestions.
 >
 > 73 - Jim - KH2AR/W4
 > Memphis, TN
 those of the
 > original contributors and do not necessarily reflect
 the opinion of the