Re: [IRCA] Oregon Cliff Booby Prize

--- Begin Message ---
Haha nice one, Gary :)

Reminds me of a few times I've been fooled on my DSP portables. :)

For one, several times I thought I could hear weak talking on 1560 in the daytime, with the aid of the SAT.  I thought for a while I had KNZR from Bakersfield here in the east county San Diego area!  Turns out, though, that it was a spur transmitted by 1700 XEPE!
Another one was hearing threshold-level music on 660, making me think I had KTNN in the daytime, at a distance of nearly 500 miles.  Lo and behold, it was yet another spur from a Mexican, with 540 XESURF being the guilty party.
On my local Family Radio affiliate 910 KECR, I heard another talk station under it in the daytime.  I was wondering what on earth am I hearing midday on 910?  San Francisco and Phoenix shouldn't be making it here.  Turns out it's 1170 KCBQ, which shares the same transmitter site.
Also, I was doing some experimenting once, inductively coupling to the utility groundwire out front with the SAT tuned to my strongest local station, 760 KFMB, at night.  Of course it was overloading severely, with 760 reading 98/25 and having just brief blips of audio, nothing intelligible, and 1520 in the upper 70s / low 80s or so.  I tuned to 750 and heard music.  At first I thought I had KHWG from Fallon, NV, and was temporarily excited about the "halfway decent selectivity".  Unfortunately, it turned out to be an image from the aforementioned 910 KECR.

Also, my DSP portables' internally-generated squeals, hets, etc, have fooled me a few times too.  I heard one on 1107 mixing with 1110 KDIS, thinking I had a TA around sunset one late afternoon.  When I checked at a different time of day, though, when TA/TP signals should not reach here, I still heard the het, revealing it was internally generated. :(  What do you do when DXing barefoot to step around those internal hets that happen to be on the same frequency as TP/TA targets?

73, Stephen