Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] [Am] Rockwork 4 Oregon Cliff

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] [Am] Rockwork 4 Oregon Cliff

Gary, a few comments on your comments:

Some TA's on the West Coast are not much different distance-wise from some of the TP's to the West Coast, e.g. about 5000 miles. The Pacific is rather wider than the Atlantic. Until recently, Europe had many more high power signals than East Asia. The situation is changing since we have lost the likes of favourable-northerly-location stations such as Norway 1314, Sweden 1179, Denmark 1062, Finland 963, Poland 1503, etc. These stations were among the Europeans most likely to get to the West Coast due to shorter transpolar distances and a greater opportunity to exploit the expanded auroral "doughnut hole" during low geomagnetic activity. We also lost Croatia 1134, not as far north as Norway, but also a serious blaster throughout North America in its glory days. Ditto for Switzerland 765 / 1566 and Austria 1476. Meanwhile, as broadcasting contracts within Europe, it expands in China, India, and other economic "tigers" of Asia.

At least, in the near term, this should mean Europeans will trend towards more difficult and East Asians towards easier.

Though China to BC/WA and UK to BC/WA aren't that different in distance, the major difference, of course, is that the TP's have mostly a water run for those 5000 miles / 8000 km. TA's, depending on point of origin, are coming across a good chunk of Canadian landmass so the surface bounce of at least one or two of the skips would lose a lot more strength compared to TP's bouncing in the open Pacific somewhere between Alaska and Hawaii. Additionally the TA - West Coast paths go closer to the polar region, so that also (usually) robs them of strength. Fewer Euro's benefit from the "doughnut hole" now that there is literally nothing of significant power from Scandinavia anymore.

Japan, China, etc. going to the East Coast also traverse the polar region and are travelling longer-haul routes (greater than 6000 miles) than UK to Vancouver or Seattle. Those TP to East Coast routes are substantially over land, knocking the stuffing out the signal with each ground bounce.

And, yes, domestic stations are more densely packed on the East Coast than out your way. If a channel doesn't have a US or Canadian blaster on it (or IBOC / slop therefrom), it has a Cuban. As you know, there are no interference-mitigating treaties between Cuba and the US, so (as you may gather from some of my loggings) the band is like a Wild West Shoot-Up, all along the Gulf from Texas to Florida and the Atlantic shore from Florida to Maine.

I think the above would take away the "unknown reason" idea about TA to West Coast success versus the TP to East Coast situation.

As far as you coming east with your cliffside DX gear, it would be quite interesting.

As you do out there, I think you would want to explore transequatorial rarities in the April to October period. Summer is often considered "not the DX season" but if your aim out west is Down Under or, here in the east, Africa and deep South America then summer is exactly when you want to be on the job.

I think that out that way you tend to have less summer static than on this end. T-storms can be a deal-breaker here, especially June to August. It can be a nice clear night at a beach DXpedition site in MA but if there's a T-storm anywhere between Cape Hatteras, NC and Cape Race, NL, your listening experience will not be an easy one. Storms 200 miles or so out over land aren't usually a problem, but 800 miles on a water route can be a headphone smasher. On the most sensitive (e.g. Beverage) set-ups, the nearly-constant thunderstorm activity at the mouth of the Amazon in Brazil, about 3000 miles distant, will register on the S-meter on less-busy frequencies.

It helps to be resident in the area since some nights just aren't going to be productive because of static. The more opportunities you have to get out to the shore, the better. This would tend to make a transcontinental trip to DX during a specific week rather like gambling. You could spend hundreds of dollars and maybe just go home with some nice photo's, souvenirs, and memories of great seafood ... but not much in the DX department. Or you might luck out and bag African, Brazilian, and Argentine logs that would even make the Newfoundland and PEI DXpeditioners envious. Most likely the results would be somewhere in the middle, not too different from what guys like Bruce Conti, Marc DeLorenzo, Brent Taylor, myself, and other New England / eastern Canada DXers have reported in recent years.

There should be plenty of reference literature out there to help you determine what logs are common, semi-rare, and downright "from-outer-space". Newfoundland and PEI DXpedition reports tend to highlight the rarer stuff. Items in IDXD and DXWW-E run the gamut from common to deep-fringe. Anything south of the equator is at least a pretty good catch regardless of which hemisphere. Anything east of UAE is good. Central Americans, though not terribly distant, are difficult DX since few are running the kind of power to compete with Cubans and domestics on similar bearings / shorter distances. And, of course, anything west of the Central time zone, whether domestic or foreign, is a good catch.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
Hi Mark,

<<< Up to now I have only logged one TP, the 1053 Korea jammer heard around
dawn at East Harwich, MA about 15 years ago.   >>>

For some unknown reason, it really seems like the west coast TP-chasers have a much easier time receiving TA's (during the best solar years) than the east coast TA-chasers have receiving TP's. Presumably the heavy domestic splatter on the east coast has something to do with this, although the west coast also has its fair share of domestic RF pollution. During the 2009 and 2010 fall seasons signals from 675-Radio Maria, 693-BBC, 756-DLF, 1134-Croatia, 1377-France and 1575-R.Farda showed up here in Puyallup on Ultralight radios and a 9' PVC box loop. The Victoria DXers (Nick, Walt and Colin) routinely have the inner edge in the TA propagation, along with Nigel in Alberta.

<<< And Gary, we need you to do your FSL + Ultralight thing here on the
East Coast someday.  I think it would be interesting to see what you
could come up with, especially just after local sunset in summer /
early autumn when exotic sub-Saharan Africans and deep South Americans
are more apt to be in the mix (as contrasted with the more typical run
of western Europeans / Mediterranean coast Africans).    >>>

Well, Mark, I would certainly love to try this-- although I haven't yet been able to figure out how to show up at an airport with one of the new 22-pound FSL antennas without sending TSA into an absolute panic, having my flight cancelled and sending the entire facility into a three-hour security lockdown. The alternative of sending the 22 pound beast through the mail (with its 86 relatively fragile ferrite rods) doesn't sound much more attractive, either. Probably the best option would be to have one of the Cape DXers receive a large order of ferrite rods from the Ukraine (assuming that the invading Russians don't try to re-claim this old Red Army material) and assemble a huge FSL on-site during an east coast trip-- leaving the antenna for you guys to use after a DXpedition. Such a project may need to wait for a while, however.

<<< The sub-equatorial signals, other than a few blasters such as 1220 Brazil,
are often down in the mud strength-wire and could use more gain than
what typical small-profile broadband antennas can deliver.  You could
clean up if conditions were auroral (to take some of the domestic pests
off the table).  Seaside cliff sites around here aren't too common but
Maine does offer some, especially at/near Acadia National Park.  There
are also some to be had in the Canadian provinces of New Brunswick,
Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland-Labrador.   >>>

As you know, Mark, one of the big challenges in having a west coast DXer chase transoceanic DX on the east coast would be the learning curve involved in memorizing which DX stations are on which frequencies, which are the routine big guns and which are the nice catches, and if really lucky, which are the all-time new DX catches for the entire coast. I've always admired dual-coast DXers like Bill W. and Chuck H. who can keep this information in their memory banks, but to be honest my TA-DXing experience has been limited to receiving the big guns listed above. During any "Cliffhanger DXing" on the east coast I would certainly need an experienced east coast TA-chaser alongside to figure out whether the FSL was receiving something good, bad or ugly.

As for the DXing desirability of the east coast ocean cliffs, there are still a lot of variables in this all-new science of enhanced cliff-side transoceanic reception that have yet to be sorted out. Probably the only way to be certain whether such a discovery will pay dividends on the east coast will be to try it out at a location that somewhat resembles "Rockwork 4" or Cape Perpetua on the Oregon coast. Those two sites have already provided some pretty freakish examples of transoceanic propagation boosts on Ultralight radios and modest-sized FSL antennas.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)