Re: [IRCA] conelrad

I do recall back in the late 1950's or early 1960's when
WLS would do the Conelrad test on 640kcs.

In
the mid-1960's former IRCA member Ed Marr and I had the
privilege of visiting the WLS Xmtr site.  The site was
less than three miles from my home back then.

One of the site engineers on duty showed us the 5KW
640KCS transmitter that had been used for Conelrad.  It
was still usable at that time but shut down. The engineer
opened up the back door of the transmitter and said "hey
watch this".  He used a grounding hook to draw a three
inch long arc from the output coil on the 640 unit which
had it's own antenna.  The arc produced near perfect audio
from RF coming from the 50kw Xmtr on 890kcs!

Tom Jasinski
Joliet, IL