[IRCA] Oregon Cliff (Rockwork 4) Ultralight TP's for 4-10

[IRCA] Oregon Cliff (Rockwork 4) Ultralight TP's for 4-10

Hello All,

The Cliff was cold and windy this early morning, with a wind chill approaching the freezing level (but DXer comfort, of course, is not part of the attraction package). The darkness hours (1045-1300 UTC) were not nearly as productive as yesterday, although a few more anemic Kiwis did show up on 567, 657 and 1008 early in the session. To be honest, I'm not really used to chasing New Zealand stations at mediocre levels-- in the summer DXpeditions, you simply dial in their frequencies at this Cliff-- and then wait for them to "crunch-test" your radio's front end. April DU propagation seems to be spotty and bizarre, and it takes some time to adjust.

Anyway, the Asian propagation was generally down from the monster levels of yesterday, although a very late rally in bright sunlight at 1330 boosted up a new set of TP's to freakish levels (972-HLCA at 1335, the strongest I've ever heard it in 8 years of TP-DXing, and 1566-HLAZ at the start of its Chinese program at 1347, at an equally strong meltdown level). 1134-JOQR was also boosted up freakishly by the propagation rally around 1342, strangely enough without a trace of the KBS station that I thought would own the frequency. Unlike yesterday the low-band NHK big guns stayed at normal levels, and there hasn't yet been a single Chinese station to show up with audio on any frequency. Normally when you receive big gun TP's at awesome levels you can expect a few second and third tier TP's to weakly emerge from the woodwork, but with the exception of the raspy North Korean on 702 (a booby prize?) and KBS on 864 that hasn't happened so far. My overall impression of the April clif!
 f propagation so far is that is has been awesome for the Japanese and Korean big guns, mediocre for the second tier Asians (and the big gun Kiwis) and Missing in Action for the Chinese. One bright exception was the excellent-level recording of 531-PI yesterday around 1110-- reminding me of its blowtorch performance last July here at the same Cliff. A few more Kiwi signals like that would go a long way in warming up the frigid cliff!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Cannon beach, OR)
DXing at the "Rockwork 4" ocean cliff in Tillamook Co., OR
C.Crane SWP 7.5" Slider loopstick Ultralight +
New 12" DXpedition FSL antenna