[IRCA] DX Test Material

Last night's very successful KCKM test only reinforces the importance of using the proper test material programming. In the early 2000's, we need a double blind experiment to determine what material worked the best in cutting through the noise of a cluttered channel at various signal levels.

Hands down, the clear winner were the sweep tones used in last night's KCKM test. These were followed by the "Off-Hook telephone sound", "slide whistle", and finally Morse Code at around 900-1000 Hz. This was true at all signal levels, but especially at the weakest levels.

Some material that did not test well:

1.) Christmas Music
2.) Voice announcements with either male or female voice.
3.) Marching Band Music
4.) Classical Music
5.) Sound effects like roosters, bells, etc.

One musical source that scored higher than any other were TV show theme songs. I think this is due to the fact that they stand out from other clutter, and are recognizable patterns to our brains. Some stations just are not willing to run only "Sweeps & Codes" for extended times, and TV theme songs make a good alternative. But to the extent possible, a scientific test and lots of on-air experience proves that nothing beats sweep tones if a station wants to be heard.

While I've retired from CPC duties for now, I'm happy to provide the material for DX Tests. In fact you can download them yourself at:

http://www.highnoonfilmclient.com/AMCPC/

The sweep tones and other sound effects are in a ZIP file, and the WinMorse software (Freeware) is also mirrored here. It makes it easy to convert text files into Morse Code .WAV files. Follow Paul Walker's example, and ask your local station about doing a test today.

--
73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
Maylene, AL
EM63

Member NRC, IRCA, & Medium Wave DX Circle
Former CPC Chairman for NRC/IRCA

Perseus SDR, SDR-IQ,Funcube Pro, Wellbrooke ALA-1530+ loop, LF Engineering Active Whips,
Quantum Phaser, Kiwa Loop, Palstar MW Pre-Selector