Re: [IRCA] The Idea of Merging NRC/IRCA

Thanks John for the intelligent discussion of club history. My involvement in NRC started around late 1972 / early 1973 when I intercepted Gordon Nelson's pirate "WOJX" broadcast on 1200 kHz. His QTH, then on Hardy Ave. in Watertown, MA was about 3 miles south of my location next to Menotomy Rocks Park, Arlington. As noted in 'http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/wa1ion_history.htm', I called Nelson on the phone and then visited him. Soon I was part of the Boston Publishing Committee. For about a year, I helped with the collating, stapling, and address-stickering of DX News issues.

A bit later on I also joined IRCA.

I do believe the days of paper bulletins are numbered. I am more likely to want content available on my laptop and mobile devices than on easily-misplaced paper. At this point I am more apt to take published material that I only have in paper form and scan it to PDF than to take electronic-only content and print it to paper. I still like full-length traditional hard-copy books, but fewer and fewer periodicals / magazines are arriving here in paper form. Besides not being constrained by page-count and no-color limitations, PDF files originating from desktop publishing (Microsoft Word or Apple's equivalent, for instance) are searchable and have usable hyperlinks. If I scan in paper, I have a PDF but it's from the image and there would not typically be searchable text and hot links.

The east vs. west aspects of the two clubs is still very evident in the international DX sections. IRCA has strong west coast TPDX presence from the likes of DeBock, Hall-Patch, Portzer, and Martin. The reports of these fine DXers seldom, if ever, make their way into DX News. Similarly, the East Coast TADX / South American DX loggings of Conti, Dangerfield, DeLorenzo, Renfrew, and others seldom make it to DX Monitor. Internet connectivity has not completely erased club regionalism.

Though I don't think there is much to be gained (yet) from a wholesale merger of NRC & IRCA, I don't see why some columns couldn't be joint columns, open to members of either club and run in the bulletins of both. The technical columns and international DX columns of both clubs contain a fair amount of duplicate articles and DX tips. With replacement editors often hard to find in the case of an existing editor's loss of interest / available time, disability, or death, a good case can be made for some dual-club column editors, something that might be considered a baby-step towards merger but one that does not eliminate all that much overall club autonomy.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
Fortunately for all concerned, the BAD Guys could not bring themselves to pull the plug on the NRC. Nelson and others explored the options and determined commercial offset printing could save the day. The NRC, out of sheer necessity caused by my sudden choice of marriage over club management, became the first U.S. DX club to scrap mimeograph and go offset.

The last mimeographed NRC publication was the first NRC Log, which I had hand-typed on stencils during that trying summer and fall of 1968. When I had stepped down, NRC had a little over 400 members. Several years later, when the BAD Guys turned over publication to the team headed by Russ Edmunds, the membership had risen to more than 700.
John Callarman, KA9SPA, Family Genealogist, Retired Newspaper Editor, DX-oyente,
Krum TX (AKA Qal R. Mann, Krumudgeon)