Re: [IRCA] Grayland - Feb. 19-22, 2014

In-shack termination control has worked well for me, both on standard size antennas and on the car-roof micro-SuperLoop used at beach DXpeditions.

I should mention that the longest feedline I've used is 150 ft. / 45m. That in-shack pot termination still works with 600 ft. of 100-ohm line is a bit of a revelation since I think I had read earlier reports of ineffectiveness with that long a run. It's good that you don't have to go with the more-cumbersome Vactrol approach.

I use ordinary speaker wire but CAT-5 is probably better. 9:1 transformers at each end of the antenna are each 12 turns : 4 turns on Fair-Rite 2873000202 / Amidon BN-73-202 binocular core. Toroid equivalent would be 45 turns : 15 turns (overlapped, occupying ~80% of core) on Amidon FT-114-J or Steward 35T0501-10H.

With transformers at each end, the two 100-ohm lines are routed to an in-shack box with a 4-pole 2-throw switch that sends the two conductors of one feedline to the 2:1 transformer going to the receiver coaxial cable and the other feedline to the termination pot. I would use a 500 ohm pot rather than 100 ohms since sometimes you might be in the 120 ohm range (= 1080 ohms at antenna) for a given cardioid null. Maybe having a series resistor of about 47 ohms in series with the 100 ohm pot makes sense.

The switch box allows instant pattern reversal, something quite useful in evaluating antenna performance and determining if an unidentified signal is "pest" or DX.

In-shack termination is well suited to double loop designs (DKAZ, Bowtie, etc.) as these tend to be more finicky about termination setting than ordinary Kaz Deltas, Flags, and SuperLoops. Most of those can be "set-and-forget" terminated with something between 800 ohms and 1K.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
Bill: NICE work on your report! That's a lot of info; easy to understand.

Interesting what you're finding with 'over-sized' D-Kaz antennas. I had settled on a 120 ft/20ft and found it suffered a bit on the low end of the MW band...but it turned out to be hot a long way up into SW. What height
are you using with the 160-foot array?

Here's a thought that may or may not make sense. I've often wondered if extending the null-pot to the shack might disrupt the linearity of the D-Kaz
null.

When the weather's nice, I work from the null-pot location, extending the
receiver feed instead.

9:1 at the receive end is almost a perfect match to Cat5. I run the Cat5 around to the null-pot end (staying away from the antenna). The Cat5 feeds
a 2:1 that perfectly matches the Perseus input.

(Still found some RF amplification was a good idea for the MW low-end, but the stability was rock-solid and the null was fairly uniform across a couple
of octaves.)

Regards,

Mark Durenberger