[IRCA] CBS Sports Radio - KIKR-AM 1450 Beaumont, TX, and KBED-AM 1510 Nederland, TX

[IRCA] CBS Sports Radio - KIKR-AM 1450 Beaumont, TX, and KBED-AM 1510 Nederland, TX

While waiting for my wife to come out of the local HEB grocery store this afternoon on our way home from morning worship, I decided to see what I could hear on the radio in the Highlander.

While tuning through the upper segment of the band, I was surprised to hear a strong station on 1450.  Knowing that 1450 is a GY channel and that there is a semi-local to my QTH on 1460 (KBRZ Missouri City, TX), I camped out on frequency to learn more.

Turns out that the 1450 station is KIKR-AM in Beaumont, TX, which flipped from Hispanic programming to CBS Sports Radio Format on April 1, 2013.  They have a sister station in the Golden Triangle - 1510 KBED-AM in Nederland, TX.  Both stations are part of the Cumulus Media group.

Here's a link to the article from the Orange Leaf newspaper explaining the format change:

http://www.orangeleader.com/breakingnews/x1319119685/All-new-sports-stations-debuts-Monday

KBEB-1510 has a much weaker signal to my QTH (southeast Houston) than does KIKR-1450, even though their antenna patterns, according to Radio-Locator.com, look very similar.

Just wanted to add this info to the DX community.

73 & Good DX,

Steve Ponder, N5WBI
Houston, TX

"Character is not what people see from a distance-- that's platform. Character is more often seen up close and over time." - Ed Stetzer

maidanin asialla, siis opposition puolella.

73's JLN