Re: [IRCA] Was Gray Line Software-- Now SSS DX

Re: [IRCA] Was Gray Line Software-- Now SSS DX

The second flip date is July 1st.

There ought to also be some articles in NRC Reprints and also IRCA Bookstore on the subject.

One option, which I have used quite successfully with Geoclock is to create my own data files for
mapping, by using actual station coordinates Geoclock then uses those ( instead of or along with
base data files including city center coordinates ) to pinpoint stations on the maps.

For most cases, given that with the congestion on the channels we're not looking at 1000-mile plus
SR/SS DX as a norm, unlike what Jim noted in his post, I would consider using the city coordinates
within Geoclock as a few miles here or there won't have much if any impact.

I have even used Geoclock, with just the city files data to track sunrise on TA receptions at the LBI
DXpeditions with some success.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@xxxxxxxxx>

 Jim,

 The NRC does still make those reprints available. I've been
 studying them for the past few days. I was hoping that
 someone had basically created a software version of those
 NRC Maps. Even better would be one that would download the
 FCC license data, and map the stations on the globe. Click
 on a station, and the software would tell you what time it
 was supposed to shift to day/night power today. Wishful
 thinking I suppose.

 I wonder if Neil would be willing to scan one of his custom
 target maps and send it to me?

 Follow up question. You mention that "before January 1st"
 and "after January 1st". But when is the "flip date" for
 that rule? Right now, it's March 1st---so according to your
 advice, the beginning of the month is best for catching new
 stations. But what if it was August 1st?

 Most of the reprinted articles and web stuff I can find
 reference "the good ole days" before stations operated as
 they do today. All of them mention sign-offs and sign-ons,
 etc. Remember those? Me too, but trying to make sense of the
 history lesson only adds to my confusion.

 -- 73,

 Les Rayburn, N1LF
 Maylene, AL
 EM63

 Member NRC, IRCA, & Medium Wave DX Circle
 Former CPC Chairman for NRC/IRCA

 Perseus SDR, SDR-IQ,Funcube Pro, Wellbrooke ALA-1530+ loop,
 LF Engineering Active Whips,
 Quantum Phaser, Kiwa Loop, Palstar MW Pre-Selector

 On 2/28/2014 12:38 PM, James Renfrew wrote:
 > Before JAN 1st, the end of the month is better for
 sunset DX.  After JAN 1st the beginning of the month is
 best.  (Plus the beginning of the month may be a time
 to catch stations failing to adjust to the new month).
 The sign-off times or power down times are set at the 15th
 of each month, so that's what creates the window of
 opportunity before or after the 15th.  Long before
 software came onto the scene, the NRC had a reprint
 available with a map of the US and world for each month
 showing the sign off zones in 15 minutes increments.
 Some months the lines are nearly north/south and other
 months they are skewed.  In every month there are
 opportunities.  Neil Kazaross has worked out some
 charts that demonstrate the best months to go after certain
 western stations, those times when the target station is in
 the dark for the longest period.  Some stations have
 post-sunset and pre-sunset authority to operate before
 sunrise and after sunset, usually with much limited
 power.  Some of them, I think, don't bother to power
 down though.  Check the NRC list to see if the chart is
 still available.  One of the most glorious experiences
 years ago was to sit on 1580 and listen through the
 afternoon and evening as stations would sign off in turn
 every 15 minutes.  Jim Renfrew

 <mailto:les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
 wrote:

 >     Forgive the idiot questions.
 I'm not new to AM DXing, so can't
 >     really even use the "newbie"
 excuse.

 >     When I asked about software to
 help with gray line DX, I should
 >     have been more specific. I'm
 interested in sunset DX (and to a
 >     lesser extent sunrise DX). I
 know that certain times of the year
 >     result in some AM stations
 switching to nighttime power levels
 >     well after my local sunset.
 Sometimes they can remain at daytime
 >     power/pattern long enough for
 them to be logged when it might
 >     otherwise be impossible.
 >
 >     I know this occurs more in some
 months than others.

 >     What I'm looking for is
 software that might aid in determining how
 >     much of an opportunity exists
 on a given day for these types of
 >     loggings.
 >
 >     Does that make more sense? I'm
 sure that more experienced DX'ers
 >     can just do this in their
 heads--but it's hard for me to visualize.

 >     --     73,
 >

 >     Les Rayburn, N1LF
 >     Maylene, AL
 >     EM63
 >
 >     Member NRC, IRCA, & Medium
 Wave DX Circle
 >     Former CPC Chairman for
 NRC/IRCA

 >     Perseus SDR, SDR-IQ,Funcube
 Pro, Wellbrooke ALA-1530+ loop, LF
 >     Engineering Active Whips,
 >     Quantum Phaser, Kiwa Loop,
 Palstar MW Pre-Selector

 -- 73,

 Les Rayburn, N1LF
 Maylene, AL
 EM63

 Member NRC, IRCA, & Medium Wave DX Circle
 Former CPC Chairman for NRC/IRCA

 Perseus SDR, SDR-IQ,Funcube Pro, Wellbrooke ALA-1530+ loop,
 LF Engineering Active Whips,
 Quantum Phaser, Kiwa Loop, Palstar MW Pre-Selector

 those of the original contributors and do not necessarily
 reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its editors, publishing
 staff, or officers