Re: [IRCA] Tunable Active Whips

You have probably seen this article which was in both DX Monitor and DX News in 1996:
http://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/doc1/rl1rw1.pdf

It covers both remotely-tuned active whips and loops.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
Years ago, I built a remote tunable active whip designed by longwave
experimenter Bill Bowers. As I recall, the original design was published
in the "Lowdown", official publication of the Longwave Club of America.
Bill's design was a wonder. You varied the voltage sent to the whip,
which in turn, changed the frequency that the whip was peaked on for
reception. It was a very high "Q" design with sharp tuning.

It worked from LF (down to about 100KHZ) all the way up into the high
end of the broadcast band. It was an amazing performer, and really
worked great. Unfortunately, mine was damaged in a small tornado and I
could not repair it. By then, I had misplaced the article, but a few
days, I happened across the "indoor" portion of the device, basically a
nice multi-turn variable potentiometer and power supply.

That got me thinking about the design--and how well the antenna worked.

I wonder if other MW DX'ers have experimented with remote tuned active
whips? Are there any commercial versions of similar products available?
The only one I have experience with is the Ramsey "Signal Magnet" but
it's not very high "Q"...tuning peaks are not sharp, and gain is low.

--
73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
Maylene, AL
EM63

Member NRC, IRCA, & Medium Wave DX Circle
Former CPC Chairman for NRC/IRCA

SDR-IQ,Funcube Pro, Wellbrooke ALA-1530+ loop, LF Engineering Active Whips,
Quantum Phaser, Kiwa Loop, Palstar MW Pre-Selector