Re: [IRCA] Array Solutions SAL-30

Mark and Andrew have given good explanations for what you observed Les, unless you tell us that the whips were placed as far apart as they recommend.

My problem may be unique to parts of the world (like here) where there are weak stations from the other side of the ocean in two quadrants suffering interference from stronger domestics only in the other two quadrants. That's a great test bed for any unidirectional system. I've used Wellbrook's ALA100 phased system with 40 meters separation and suggested size delta loops, and compared it with a FLG100 /standard Flag, and found that the FLG100 just had more overseas signal remaining in many cases (and of course a Flag is a sort of self-phased antenna), and took up less room. Sure were lovely nulls on the ALA100 phaser though. I'm not sure I'd suggest larger antennas, maybe more gain would do the trick, maybe even just a bit more post phaser gain.

I'm hoping to do more work on this at some future point, but I need to take some time to visit a site with more space. Trying 40m separation at home ends up on my neighbor's lot, and of course, local noise is always an issue. (and yes, please "butt in" with any suggestions Andrew...).

Incidentally, I have tried the ALA100 phaser with smaller ALA100 loops, and with them more closely spaced, and got the impression that one could do quite well hearing domestics by nulling other domestics with such a setup, but this location isn't the best test bed for that sort of DXing.

best wishes,

Nick