[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, January 17-23, 2014

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, January 17-23, 2014

All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page19

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 1157-1183 kHz, Jan 22 at 1423 and 1620 UT chex, IBOC is back on from 1170 KFAQ Tulsa. I feared the clearup would not last (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1705, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1270, Jan 21 at 1955 UT I am checking out the Claremore/Tulsa station which AM Switch in NRC DX News Jan 13 reported changed call Jan 3 from KRVT to KTUZ; also IRCA DX Monitor Jan 18 which added ``was Regional Mexican, now new unknown format``. Us Okies know that KTUZ is already the call of a Spanish FM station in OKC, La Zeta, 106.7, plus TV on RF 29 which carries both archrivals Telemundo and Univisión. Could there be some connexion? Yes!

Even on the caradio, 1270 is quite weak here, so after finding that it is indeed // 106.7 which has a semi-local signal, I continue listening there for ToH ID. (Haven`t yet checked on two radios for a delay.) After some dead air, at 2000 UT, SHVA exclaims joint ID for both FM on 106.7 and AM Claremore-Tulsa on 1270, stations of Tyler Media. Tyler is pronounced as in English, Media as in Spanish.

So now yet another Tulsa AM station becomes a mere satellite of an OKC station (after 1570 relaying 890, also Tylers). As for format, IRCA says ``1270 KTUZ Claremore, OK was Regional Mexican, now new unknown format``. It still sounds ``regional Mexican`` to me, if that means norteña music where most of the immigrants around here come from, besides Guatemala.

Inspecting http://www.ktuz.com/ one is hard-pressed to find La Zeta as on any radio frequency but 106.7. But Jesus is one of their DJs (Glenn Hauser, Enid, WORLD OF RADIO 1705, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 930, Jan 20 at 0604 UT, easily heard, dominating the Indomable WKY when nulled, Fox ``news``, 0605 UT PSA for a Hannibal MO library with 573-area code, ID from WTAD Quincy IL, into C2CAM. I`ve heard it before, but this is unusual. Could it be on ND 5 kW day pattern? I was also hearing it last April with same suspicions, as in DXLDs 13-14, 13-15, 13-16, 13-17.

FCC AM Query shows WTAD 1 kW night pattern of double-figure 8, i.e. four lobes roughly to N/E/S/W and extremely deep nulls between them, such as 230 degrees to the southwest, close to Enidward.
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/305660-3646.pdf

Enid is 238 degrees from Quincy, at 686 km distance. The 230 null is exactly toward WKY`s coordinates.

And WTAD also has a CP, why? Hard to make out any difference:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1549844-121217.pdf
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1700, Jan 22 at 1431-1435+ UT, open carrier/dead air atop weak Fox Sports station, making about 7 Hz SAH. OCDA station must be KKLF Richardson TX, the comedy station muted, and KVNS Brownsville the Fox Sports (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)