Re: [IRCA] 2013 - The Year In Review

About five years ago, we downsized as the kids went off to college. My wife's back surgery dictated a move into a new, single story home in the midst of a homeowners association neighborhood (HOA). No external antennas allowed. That prompted a new direction in my radio hobbies. My large, open attic became the home for a stack of VHF/UHF Yagi antennas and an exploration of ham radio above 50 MHz.

It's been a ball, after concentrating on VLF, LF, and MF ham activities for over 20 years. I used to consider the 80 Meter band as "High Frequency", and 20 Meters as "VHF".

But despite enjoying new challenges like meteor scatter, tropo enhancement, satellite communications, and chasing VUCC Awards, I find myself pulled back downwards towards the low bands, including MW DXing.

The past year has seen a dedicated effort to hide and disguise MW receiving antennas. This has involved painting a couple of LF Engineering active whip antennas flat black, and raising them just above my privacy fence. Exploration of the back yard with a portable radio revealed the quietest spots in a very noisy RF environment. We have neighbors on three of our four sides, some as close as 15 feet away. RF interference is extreme but quiet spots do exist in the back yard.

I'm now in the process of trying to hide a Wellbrooke ALA-1530 with rotor on the one side of the house that does not have a neighbor. Hopefully, I can be successful in that effort.

I've also put more work into modifying some portable radios for DXing, and learning to work within the limitations of the in-dash receiver on my Dodge Ram pickup. With less than 1,000 stations in the log, new ones are still pretty easy to come by. Time is my biggest enemy.

--
--
73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light