Re: [IRCA] OT light bulbs

I guess I'm in the minority here.

I've been using CFLs almost exclusively for years before any ban on incandescents was ever thought of. Outside and special purpose lamps are still good old Tungsten and I did snag a supply of 100 and 60W "just in case" ;)

As far as noise issues, bulbs from Philips and Sylvania are the quietest in my experience and the worst I've found were 23W (100W eq.) store brand from Wal Mart that could wipe out the MW band for several feet. I left those in the apartment we moved out of, good riddance. You get what you pay for. The flood over my desk is about 6 or 7 years old and still about as bright as a new one. I think I paid about $12 for it back then but I've gotten my $ worth out of it.

The ones over my desk and bench are Sylvania 26W 6500K reflector/floods and I have to get my DX-399 within 6" of the base to pick up any noise on MW. The noisiest lamp in the house is also on my bench, a 6500K circline in my magnifier lamp. But if it's on I'm working on something and the radios are off or on a local anyway.

The color temp of a 2700K CFL I find is close to the standard incandescent and I use them in the living/dining/bedrooms but for close work the 6500K work best for me. The eye focuses blue light better than red/yellow and hand soldering semiconductors in SOT-23 packages without destroying them is fine, fussy work.

The 6500s are in all work areas and it does help my Lady with SAD or winter depression from lack of sunlight since I changed the bulbs by her desk and reading lamp.

Through trial and error I've found that a mix of 2 2700s to one 6500 make excellent grow lamps and the 6500s are perfect for a planted freshwater aquarium. They have enough red to support plant growth without runaway algae problems and I haven't heard any complaints from the fish ;)

Do I think CFLs are better overall? Yes.
Do I think everyone should be forced to use them or LED? No.

Back to my soldering iron....

Tim Hills
Sioux Falls, SD