[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, December 13-19, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, December 13-19, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 530, Dec 17 circa 2105 UT, ``K530AM``, Vance AFB is finally back on the air with the usual PSA loops, such as booster seats, gate hours info, and seems stronger than before it crashed on Black Friday. Hope I can still get a good null on it for Enciclopedia, CUBA at night, not including of course on the caradio: there it`s mixing with Cuba`s music, fast SAH (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA [non]. 1210, Dec 17 at 0645 UT, `Coast to Coast AM` // but not synchro with 1200 WOAI. I`ve been meaning to point out that for some weeks now, KGYN Guymon OK has not been heard at night, meaning that they have axually been running night pattern with null toward Philadelphia, Enid, and/or reduced power. The C2CAM must be WPHT, as listed in NRC AM Log 2013, once you check the format key and find that entered as ``B`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

================

** U S A. 660, Dec 16 at 1414 UT, I am standing by for KTNN Window Rock AZ to pop on as it should be changing to 50 kW non-direxional day pattern at 1415 in December --- but nothing shows, just remnant of KSKY The Metroplex which I have carefully nulled. By 1424, however, there is a slow SAH of 64/minute = 1.07 Hz, which may the source, if not Omaha or Williston (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 940, Dec 16, I start listening about 0652 UT, trying to stay awake, and revive at 0708 when some very slow Morse code is barely audible, best with LSB tuning on the DX-398. It stops before I can copy much, but I think an M, an A and an O. As in LIMA OHIO. It would actually have been easier to copy a bit faster vs the QRM. Continue straining to hear anything from the scheduled WCIT Lima OH DX test, but the pileup is barely surpassed mostly by WMIX in IL, with 0710 YL song, 0712 ID ``WMIX, a service of --- Broadcasting``, `SCICTT` [Santa Claus Is Coming To Town].

Ending at 0713, some sweep tones: who but WCIT would send those? Keep listening until quit at 0725, but no more from WCIT, just Xmas music, probably more from WMIX; 0715 Jingle Bells, 0716 ad, 0718 `Merry Christmas from Nicole``, 0720 weather by YL. Despite this sparse info, I`m quite certain I was getting WCIT, and should match with what others heard. It`s 250 watts directional only, NW-SE, which makes it an even better catch here to the WSW. There`s no avoiding WMIX from here, very close to the same azimuth. City-to-city distance Lima-Enid is 802 statute miles = 1291 km. I`m now reporting this to mark@xxxxxxxxxx and would appreciate QSL. BTW, I also publicized the test on WORLD OF RADIO 1699 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. E-QSL received Dec 17 from WCIT, 940 Lima OH, for their Dec 16 DX test. Uploaded to my gallery via:
http://www.worldofradio.com/QSL.html
291 kb, directly at:
http://www.w4uvh.net/WCITQSL.docx

``Childers Media Group
To: Glenn Hauser
Enid, OK
This letter and QSL Card shall serve as written confirmation of your Reception Report received during our WCIT-AM, 940 Khz DX Listener’s Test on Monday, January 16th. Thanks for taking the time to listen in as we always welcome any reception reports.
Mark D. Gierhart, Engineering / IT Director``

Jan 16 was a slip; correct date on the card itself as Dec 16, 2013. Both this message and a full-data QSL card were in docx format and I could get a real card for an SASE. It includes their direxional NW/SE pattern, 250 watt power. Tnx, Mark (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WCIT-AM Test Website === Guys - you should have all received a verification letter by email; I also wanted to alert you of the website I built which shows you the results of the test. I will try and keep it updated:
http://www.talkwithronwilliams.com/WCIT%20Listener%20Test.htm
(Mark D. Gierhart (W8MDG), Engineering & IT, Childers Media Group - Lima, 57 Town Square, Lima, OH 45801, Dec 18, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Nice, even displays each individual report and mileages. Evidently mine was the second most distant, a little closer than Winnipeg. Bruce Winkelman in Tulsa also heard it but not on this map (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220, Dec 13 at 1336 UT, ``KRZK Newstime, 7:36`` after severe weather notice, and before Branson ad. Guess what, the 1220 station in Branson per NRC AM Log is KOMC, and // KOMC-FM on 100.1 (or is it 101.1?). So what`s KRZK? Obviously inspired by ``Ozark``, altho in jumbled order. (KZRK is the 1550 TIS station in Branson, and unrelated KZRK-FM is on 107.9 in Canyon TX.) There is no KRZK (AM) call in the NRC Log cross-reference. A recent change? FCC AM Query does not have any KRZK on AM either. How about FM? Yes, 106.3 is KRZK and it`s also jointly owned with KOMC. Would it be too much to ask for the proper callsign to be mentioned on 1220?

This is a productive DX frequency with none nearby and lots of little stations; earlier at 1332 I was hearing some religionist counterclockwise from KRZK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, Dec 13 circa 0230 UT on caradio, heavy interference to KOKC OKC, also making considerable SAH. I asked, ``Some other talk station in English has really been tearing up 1520 KOKC here in OK last night and again tonight, but hard to null KOKC enough to get an ID. Any idea who`s out of whack?``

Reply from Tom Jasinski, Joliet IL at 0427: ``It's  KOLM "The Ticket" with sports - they are bombing in here now``. That`s Rochester MN, and IIRC it`s nothing new for them: NRC AM Log shows day, and critical hours, 10000 watts; night 800 watts, and PSRA of 11.5 watts. U8 = ND day, one direxional pattern night and another for CH (which should not be applicable at these hours). NRC Pattern Book 2013 is not set up to show more than two patterns, but 800 watts night is supposed to be direxional *away* from KOKC and me. Obviously it`s really running 10 kW non-direxional now (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, Dec 14 at 0050 UT, heavy CCI to KOKC, presumed KOLM Rochester MN, as IDed by Tom Jasinski last night, and also heard ``running hot`` by Kevin Redding in TN tonight for his first time. KOLM cheating on 10 kW N-D day pattern should be much clearer east of OKC with KOKC`s westward coverage (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=======================

Re last week`s report of 1860-AM, WA0RCR, Gateway 160 meter net:

He claims 375 watts from a home-made transmitter. There's a photo of his antenna on
http://www.wa0rcr.com/images/tower.jpg
-- unfortunately it doesn't say how tall this tower is nor what kind of ground system is used.

At 0119z on Sunday UT, the ARRL 160-Meter contest would have been in progress, which would explain the Morse interference. Amateurs generally don't use Morse above 1840 kHz or so, but during major competitions it is common for no lower frequencies to be available. 1860 is not assigned for WA0RCR's exclusive use, so it is very possible there was existing Morse activity on the frequency when the scheduled WA0RCR transmissions began.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=336ab7469b61ecbfa15086dbf1bf2c59&rgn=div5&view=text&node=47:5.0.1.1.6&idno=47#47:5.0.1.1.6.2.159.1

>From the FCC amateur regulations, 97.113:

> (b) An amateur station shall not engage in any form of broadcasting,
> nor may an amateur station transmit one-way communications except as
> specifically provided in these rules; nor shall an amateur station
> engage in any activity related to program production or news
> gathering for broadcasting purposes, except that communications
> directly related to the immediate safety of human life or the
> protection of property may be provided by amateur stations to
> broadcasters for dissemination to the public where no other means of
> communication is reasonably available before or at the time of the
> event.

And from 97.111:

> (b) In addition to one-way transmissions specifically authorized
> elsewhere in this part, an amateur station may transmit the
> following types of one-way communications:
>
> (1) Brief transmissions necessary to make adjustments to the
> station;
>
> (2) Brief transmissions necessary to establishing two-way
> communications with other stations;
>
> (3) Telecommand;
>
> (4) Transmissions necessary to providing emergency communications;
>
> (5) Transmissions necessary to assisting persons learning, or
> improving proficiency in, the international Morse code; and
>
> (6) Transmissions necessary to disseminate information bulletins.
>
> (7) Transmissions of telemetry.

I believe the operator of WA0RCR believes his transmissions are authorized by 97.111(b)(6), as information bulletins.
== (Doug Smith W9WI, Pleasant View, TN  EM66, DX LISTENING DIGEST)