Re: [IRCA] Ultra-Light DX (2013 Information)

Hello Les,

<<<  I'm interested in hearing a brief summary from those DX'ers most active
in ultralight DXing on the AM band of the top performing models
available as of late 2013. I'm not particularly interested in the
performance of ultralights that have been modified or married to large
external antennas. Rather, I'm interested in comparisons on "stock"
models that could be easily transported.   >>>

Actually about 95% of the Ultralight radio enthusiast group has been dedicated to DXing with barefoot (stock) pocket radios throughout our six year history, Les-- it's only the radical fringe 5% that give the group an undeserved fanatical image by engaging in loopstick transplants, oceanside "Cliffhanger" DXing (with monster FSL antennas) and other dubious activities :-)

There are many choices in advanced Ultralight radios in late 2013, but if you would like to experience the best DSP selectivity available in the pocket radio class you should probably go for one of the Tecsun DSP Ultralights like the PL-310, PL-380 or PL-606. These all are based on Silicon Labs' innovative Si4734 DSP chip, which really helped to close the gap between the pocket radio class and table receivers. For around $50 you can get fairly good AM sensitivity, surprisingly competitive DSP selectivity (switchable down to 1 kHz), some of the best FM reception available in a portable, and fairly competitive Shortwave performance. The only band that is somewhat of a clunker is the Longwave band, which seems to be there mostly for decoration (although we have developed a loopstick to correct this).

A detailed introduction to the newest of these three models (the PL-606) and a four-band performance comparison of the PL-606 with the other two DSP models (the PL-310 and PL-380) is posted at http://www.mediafire.com/view/gcu6zgyxb724cy2/Tecsun606.doc , if you are interested. In comparison to your Sony SRF-T615 (which has become somewhat of a cult item among the ULR group leaders), it will have generally equivalent AM sensitivity, superior selectivity, but less than stellar nulling capability.

73 and Good Luck,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)
Ultralight Radio Group Co-Founder

I'm interested in hearing a brief summary from those DX'ers most active
in ultralight DXing on the AM band of the top performing models
available as of late 2013. I'm not particularly interested in the
performance of ultralights that have been modified or married to large
external antennas. Rather, I'm interested in comparisons on "stock"
models that could be easily transported. I'm not likely to give up the
tools that I use in my home shack, but would love to improve on the
tools I'm using for travel situations.

Right now, I'm "packing" a SONY SRF-T615 ultra-light, which seems to be
a good performer, but I'd love to upgrade if there is something better
out there. My primary interest is in domestic DXing, not TA's or TP's.

--
--
73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

6M VUCC #1712
AMSAT #38965
Grid Bandits #222
Southeastern VHF Society
Central States VHF Society Life Member
Six Club #2484

Active on 6 Meters thru 1296, 10GHz & Light

editors, publishing staff, or officers