[IRCA] WWVT VA then (was 1260 WSHU CT) + KQZQ MO 1430 strong

[IRCA] WWVT VA then (was 1260 WSHU CT) + KQZQ MO 1430 strong

This (bwlow) from Karl Zuk suggests my NPR News on 1260 would be Christiansburg VA. Supposed to be 25 watts night. Maybe it is - was not terribly strong, didn't last much beyond a quick fade-up. Relog anyhow. Case seems closed. Thanks!

Cx are pretty down. KQZQ MO 1430 St. Louis has been putting a huge signal in of late; Allen Willie just reported it from Newfoundland! So if you need it...

Saul Chernos
Burnt River ON

> From: karlzuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
> To: amfmtvdx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; am@xxxxxxxxxxx; amdx@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 19:52:15 -0500
> Subject: [AMFMTVDX] 1260 WSHU CT - answer
>
> Hi Saul:
> Although it is possible that WSHU 1260 was on day power, they are really good about reducing power according to license.
> They are a local to me and they are not a potent signal by any means.
> I hear them locally on occasion driving throughout their service area when they are on night power but they are really down in the mire.
> They were 32 watts from 4:30 to 5 - then -  5 watts from 5 to 5:30 - then - 3 watts from 5:30 to 6:30for the standard time hours in November according to a PSSA from 2007. I'm guessing the current night license for 9 watts supersedes it.So they should be at nine watts.
> They are still looking for a permanent antenna site. Read the details below:
> SACRED HEART UNIVERSITY, INC. ('SHU'), RESPECTFULLY REQUESTS A FURTHER EXTENSION OF ITS SPECIAL TEMPORARY AUTHORITY ('STA') TO OPERATE WSHU(AM) WITH TEMPORARY FACILITIES WHILE IT CONTINUES ITS SEARCH FOR A NEW TRANSMITTER SITE. SHU IS USING THE SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND TELEPHONE COMPANY (SNET) TOWER AS A SUPPORT FOR A TEMPORARY SLOPING DIPOLE ANTENNA AS IT HAS FOR SOME TIME.FOR YEARS, SHU HAS BEEN KEEPING THE FCC INFORMED ABOUT ITS ACTIVE SEARCH FOR A NEW, PERMANENT TRANSMITTER SITE. SHU WAS ABLE TO NEGOTIATE A LEASE FOR A NEW SITE AND FILED A CONSTRUCTION PERMIT APPLICATION THAT PROPOSED A NEW SITE AS WELL AS A CHANGE IN COMMUNITY OF LICENSE FROM WESTPORT TO STRATFORD, CONNECTICUT. UNFORTUNATELY, THIS APPLICATION WAS DENIED BY THE COMMISSION. FOLLOWING THE DISMISSAL OF ITS CONSTRUCTION PERMIT APPLICATION, SHU INTENSIFIED ITS SEARCH IN THE STRATFORD AND BRIDGEPORT AREAS AND HAD DISCUSSIONS WITH FIVE DIFFERENT SITE OWNERS, BUT, FOR A VARIETY OF REASONS, WAS NOT ABLE TO IDENTIFY!
>  SUITABLE SITE OR FIND A WILLING LANDLORD. SHU'S SEARCH CONTINUES AND IT HAS HOPED TO MAKE A DECISION ABOUT A NEW SITE AND NEGOTIATE A LEASE FOR A PERMANENT SITE FOR SOME TIME.SHU'S EFFORTS CONTINUE TO BE FRUSTRATED BY THE NEED TO LOCATE A PARCEL OF LAND LARGE ENOUGH FOR A FULL QUARTER WAVE GROUND SYSTEM AND A SINGLE TOWER. THUS, RECENT EFFORTS HAVE CENTERED AROUND USE OF THE FCC APPROVED VALCOM ANTENNA DESIGN AS THE 240 DIAMETER IS A SIGNIFICANT REDUCTION WHEN COMPARED TO THE 390 DIAMETER FOR A FULL QUARTER WAVE. IN THE LAST SIX MONTHS SHU FOUND TWO SITES WHICH WERE HIGHLY PROMISING BUT A DETAILED ANALYSIS OF THE ALLOCATION, IN EACH CASE, REVEALED THAT OMNI POWER WAS LIMITED BY THE NEED TO MAINTAIN GRANDFATHERED CONTOUR OVERLAP TO THE EXTENT THAT 100% DAYTIME COVERAGE OVER A NEW COMMUNITY OF LICENSE WAS NOT POSSIBLE. IT IS NOTED THAT NO SITE HAS BEEN FOUND WHICH WOULD ALLOW EVEN NEAR 80% COVERAGE OF THE CURRENT CITY OF LICENSE, WESTPORT, CONNECTICUT.    AS SHU PERSISTS WI!
 TH