[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, November 1-7, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, November 1-7, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` thru Nov 2; then 5 hours ahead]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page15

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 1140, Nov 1 at 1224 UT, 1-kW ND daytimer, KRMP OKC is dominant already, black-orientated talkshow, interview with musician; 1225 ad for OKC`s Black Chronicle newspaper. Trouble is, official FCC sunrise in Nov is not until 1300 UT; but even in October it was 1230. Even compliant stations often mess up on the first day of the month, forgetting to change their SR/SS operational times. It won`t be until DST goes off Nov 3 that KRMP will be entitled to start at 7 am local CST. Well, it does have a PSRA limited by XEMR, of SIX WATTS in August thru April, ballooning to 10 watts in May & July and a hefty 17 watts in June. This is no 6 watts (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

================

** U S A. 600, Nov 2 at 1226 UT, traffic chopper report on a Saturday morning from Iowa? WMT Cedar Rapids then plugging some show which they have just moved to KMJM 1360. Own joint ID for 600 with 95.7 FM (which is KOSY-FM per NRC), says they run an anti-Obamacare spot at the top and bottom of each hour --- what a public service!! {What C/Rap as I already tend to abbr the city} (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 830, Nov 6 at 0647 UT, WCCO with guest from http://www.astronomy.com/ison about viewing the comet, best late in November. I have to null cheating WFNO Norco LA and its Mexican music to hear WCCO in the clear at night. WCCO show I think is also on KMOX, other CBS stations, originating in Boston? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 870, Nov 1 at 1232 UT, I find something else with WWL nulled: classic rock, mentions ``103.7, America`s`` something. Per NRC-AM log the only match is: KAAN Bethany MO, 930 watts ND, also on K279AP 103.7, ``American`s [sic] Greatest Hits``. KAAN`s November sunrise is 1300 UT, while in October it was 1230, so apparently thinx it`s still October. It does have a PSRA of 500 watts, but only in Dec and Jan, 10 watts in April, elsewhen none, all limited by WWL. Bethany is in NW MO on I-35, 30 miles south of Iowa, and uncomfortably close to Maryville (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 920, Nov 4 at 0620 UT, soft-spoken Spanish preacher looping NNW/SSE; of the SD, TX and LA stations along this path, the SS one is KYST Texas City (Houston) TX, listed talk format with 5/1 kW. Day and nite patterns also favor us NNW/SSE so strange I haven`t heard this before (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1050, Nov 2 at 0555 UT, ad with 870- area code phone number, which better not be toll-free. Loops NW/SE, or close to that, with XEG nulled; then C2CAM, probably but not certainly from same station.

870 wraps around most of Arkansas, not including LR and the center and not including the west.
http://nanpa.com/area_code_maps/display.html?ar

The nearest 1050 station is in the center, but maybe close enough: KJBN (North) Little Rock, 1000/19/64 watts per NRC AM Log, but format REL:AC would seem to exclude C2CAM.

Yes, the only 1050 on C2CAM roster is KSIS in Sedalia/Sikeston MO; in Little Rock on some FM station (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1070, Nov 3 at 1305 UT, soul music from E/W is atop KLIO Wichita, until the latter surges ESPN Deportes at 1306. Presumably WDIA Memphis TN, on 50 kW day power, altho pattern is extremely unfavorable aiming south, while 5 kW night pattern has no major lobe this way either. Active website shows ``Heart & Soul of Memphis``,
http://www.mywdia.com/main.html
which converts to UC:AC format in NRC AM Log with no slogan shown (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1090, Nov 3 at 1309 UT, very heavy 4 Hz SAH between KAAY Little Rock with ID during gospel music, vs Catholic mass from 8 kW EWTN outlet KEXS Excelsior Springs MO (near Kansas City), which holds up well into daylight here. Catholix vs Protestants (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220, Nov 1 at 0502 UT [since KGWA 960 is not in a Fox-hole tonight], find a dominant signal here with a string of local ads, PSAs for YMCA, Tru-Value, car dealer, 812-area codes, mentions southern Indiana, ``Kentuckiana``, WSLM ID, ``Your Classic Hits``. Some ads are obviously outdated, implying that September and even August are in the future.

Where`s 50 kW WHKW Cleveland? Never much from it here with its N/SSE pattern. NRC Pattern Book shows WSLM aims slightly clockwise from east/west, night power 82 watts, yeah, right, vs day power 5000.

0601 UT recheck, ABC News, 0602 adbreak includes jamboree in southern Indiana, or rather Kentuckiana; 0606 ID for 97.9 and ``1220 AM WSLM Country``; now there is some Mexican music CCI from presumed XEB, sounding like less than 100 kW; anyhow a notable achievement by WSLM.

[Perpetual het on hi side with DF fitting usual off-frequency source, KMVL Madisonville TX, 11 watts night, yeah, right. Or is that really from its experimental co-channel booster KM2XVL in Huntsville TX, also allegedly 11 watts? I`m still waiting for someone between the two towns to ascertain whether these two het each other on daytime groundwave] (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220, Nov 2 at 0518 UT, country music from ENE, sounds like same WSLM Salem IN as heard 24 hours earlier, suspected on day power.

Also, regarding the off-frequency het on 1220, from KMVL Madisonville TX, and/or its booster KM2XVL in Huntsville, gor this reply from Steve Luce in Houston:

``Glenn, I have checked KMVL a few times during daylight hours from a location in far NW Harris County and I don't hear any het. Of course, I have no way of knowing if the synchro is on or not. However a few years ago I did listen to KMVL at night while driving between Madisonville and Huntsville, and heard a very long het, perhaps 5 centihertz. Will have to check next time I make a DFW trip. XEB is dominant on 1220 at night at my QTH, but sometimes I can faintly hear KMVL lurking underneath.`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1220, Nov 1 at 0559 UT, as I am rechecking WSLM IN, also hear a mention of ``KOPW.com`` (?). Must have been KLPW in Union MO, 1000/126 watts ND, address in Washington; WSW of St Louis but too far out to cover the metro. Yes, their site is http://klpw.com and maybe the source of C2CAM heard after 0606, tho there are surely other 1220s with it (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510, Nov 7 at 1327 UT, car care ad in rapid Spanish, roughly E/W; 1330 IDs in passing as ``La Ke Buena 1,510 de AM``, 1331 music. Can`t catch any local references, but sounds like a US rather than Mexican station. Nothing fits in 2013 NRC AM Log, altho there are several SS on 1510, as close as KS and TX.

Then I Google on the slogan, "la ke buena 1510 am``, being sure to misspell ``que``, and that leads right to
https://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Ke-Buena-1510-Am/536340043087287
which turns out to be WQQW in St. Louis MO. Joined FB only on August 27, 2013.

That was after the NRC AM Log was printed, where WQQW Highland IL was ``Madison County`s Hometown Station`` in English, C&W and talk, 1 kW direxional daytimer, address in Belleville IL. (At first I thought it must be ex-KMRF in Marshfield MO since their address is in St Louis --- but Marshfield is really way off near Springfield in SW MO.) FCC AM Query shows the WQQW pattern aims toward the southwest, just right for us (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1010-, Nov 2 at 0112 UT, het on the lo side. I can get a rather tight DF on it, ENE/WSW which puts it in the USA or NW Mexico. MWoffsets list has nothing but KCHJ in California, only 5.3 Hz low and this is much further than that, but a lot less than 1 kHz. No keyboard handy to measure the pitch, but heard first on caradio at 0106, so not a local device.

Het still there at 0503 check, and at 0524 I have my keyboard to find the closest pitch match: Bb below C-middle, i.e. approx. 233 Hz, which puts the carrier on approx. 1019.767. I could still hear it before sunrise around 1230, but couldn`t track it long enough to decide whether it`s east or west from here. Ideas? Besides KXEN, the 1010 stations along the likely line range from BCN, to AZ, Chihuahua, Amarillo, Independence KS, Indiana and Ohio.

We can rule out KINDependence KS; shortly after local mean noon at 1840 UT Nov 2, I can detect its carrier as the one and only daytime signal here on 1010, and is not 233 Hz low, in fact very slightly on the hi side of 1010, as compared to neighboring stations on 1020, 1000, etc. (not including KLIO ESPND Wichita 1070 which is always way off itself) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1630, Nov 1 at 0613 UT, as 1640 KZLS local splash relents a bit (change from lo-fi ag-talk to hier-fi true oldies has increased that problem), I am hearing not one but two stations in Spanish, ID sounded like XEXJ but maybe I am not fully awake as that leads nowhere. Per listings the two would be KRND in Wyoming, and XEUT in BCN, and they are somewhat separable (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)