[IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 10-1 (Conclusion)

[IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 10-1 (Conclusion)

Hello All,

Thanks again to Michael Yule for his very interesting TP report this morning from Lions Bay, BC. Like Michael I had a fun session this morning, with two Chinese low-band stations exceptionally strong. Both 603-China (Hulun Buir?) and the 639-CNR1 synchros produced their strongest audio ever heard here, with the PL-380's S/N display being briefly pegged on 603 at 1314 (Chinese male-female conversation) and on 639 at 1308 (fast-paced news by male and female Chinese announcers). 603-HLSA was also at a fairly strong level throughout the session, resulting in a wild mix with 603-China at times. The Japanese and Korean big guns on 594, 747, 774, 828, 972, 1053 and 1134 (KBS) seemed to be about as strong as yesterday, with very good audio, in and out.

After receiving the exceptional low band signals from China early in the session I was looking for some more strong Chinese domestic station audio on 756, 918, 927, 936, 945, 981 and 1035, but apparently the unusual propagation was limited to the low band. The other Chinese domestic stations were only fair at best, with 936 (Anhui) and 981-CNR1 the best of the bunch around 1345. Like Michael I had only one frequency to choose at a time, so for a 1400 TOH recording I concentrated on 738-BEL2, and missed Michael's fine signal from 963-CRI at the time. 738-BEL2' s signal strength was down a little at 1400 but the splatter from 740-KCBS was gone, so I was able to record a fairly decent TOH signal from Taiwan.

As for Michael's other signals I did have pretty strong audio from 603-HLSA around 1332, playing an apparent Korean singer-covered version of the old Rolling Stones' Hit "I Can't Get No Satisfaction." With the Chinese co-channel pestering HLSA all session long, maybe the song's title was perfect for the situation? Overall it was a very exciting session, and hopefully an indication of great Asian conditions in store for October.

603  China (Hulun Buir?)   Best signals ever heard here at 1314, with strong
              female-male Chinese conversation pegging the PL-380 S/N readout
              http://www.mediafire.com/listen/dd3n2qmdo8242tb/603-China-1314z100113PL380.MP3

603  HLSA  Namyang, S. Korea   Temporarily dominant over a pesky China
             at 1333 with a Korean remake of the Stones' hit "Satisfaction"
             http://www.mediafire.com/listen/ez385uuzsed6ndn/603-HLSA-1333z100113PL380.MP3

639  CNR1  China Synchros   Best signals ever heard here at 1308, with fast-
             paced news by male and female Chinese announcers pegging the
             PL-380's S/N readout (recorded on 638 because of a strong 640-KFI)
             http://www.mediafire.com/listen/t8bgoxrk825wy9p/639-CNR1-1308z100113PL380.MP3

738  BEL2  Penghu, Taiwan   Typical male-hosted call-in talk program at 1355
             featuring female callers only (apparently heard by Michael also)
             http://www.mediafire.com/listen/u6jhyy1pnrvyfi9/738-BEL2-1355z100113PL380.MP3

             1400 TOH recording of the BEL2 fanfare and male-voiced ID. Some
             distortion due to the fading signal, and the need to max out the
             PL-380's audio amp to compensate. The TOH was at 20 seconds
             http://www.mediafire.com/listen/6olp918qopf271o/738-BEL2-1400z100113PL380_(2).MP3

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
7.5" loopstick Tecsun PL-380 Ultralight +
12" Medium Wave FSL antenna