[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, May 3-9, 2013

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, May 3-9, 2013

All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; or Sony SRF-59 as specified; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in four sexions, Canada [if any], Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 930, May 5 at 1212 UT, WKY`s Sunday-only token English pubaffs show, `Sunday Morning Magazine` is back with discussion of taxes, need for CPAs, unlike last week when filled by Spanish ads earlier than this. By 1224 however, it`s back to that indominantable (indominable?) Mexican music (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1120, May 4 at 2102 UT on caradio, KEOR Catoosa is on again with what else but PMS - praise music in Spanish. Continues to be quite sporadic, unpredictably off or on.

1120, May 6 at 1919 UT and rechecked about an hour later, KEOR Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa is on the air again with nothing but praise music in Spanish. It`s beyond me how anyone could or would want to listen to this stuff hour after hour; requires a certain kind of insanity, and I bet no one at the station is listening to it either, as long as the automation is in charge.

This daytimer again definitely on at night, and not too embarrassed to proudly ID: May 7 at 0557 UT, PMS and 0559, ``La mejor música cristiana en KEOR, Radio Victoria, 1120 AM, Tulsa``. In KMOX almost- null, making SAH of 3.5 Hz (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1668, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

1120, May 8 at 0519 UT, KMOX has frequency to itself, no KEOR cheater audible unlike last night.

1120, May 9 trying to determine the schedule, if any, of KEOR Catoosa/Sperry/Tulsa: still not on the air at 1352 past 1400, but next check at 1427 UT, now on with PMS = praise music in Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==============

** U S A. 690, May 2 at 0458 UT, KGGF Coffeyville KS` outro to Jim Bohannon show, but cut to its sign-off announcement, 0458:50 taps start for a minute+, then open carrier/dead air facilitating audibility of KTSM El Paso.

690, UT Friday May 3 at 0459 UT, another check of what KGGF Coffeyville KS is doing: instead of immediate sign-off after Jim Bohannon, runs an ad for a business in Coffeyville-Independence, Utopia(?), and references own website http://www.radioresultsgroup.com plus an Ad Council PSA before sign-off ``until tomorrow``, taps starting at 0500:32 for another minute+ before stopping modulation, but not carrier. Searching directly for a KGGF website, I never found the above, but from it we do find some KGGF stuff among other stations in group,
http://www.radioresultsgroup.com/id24.html
but still no program schedule.

690, May 4 at 0500:15 UT, taps from KGGF KS ending while the carrier stays on making slow SAH with Fox `news` from KTSM TX. Before 0500, KGGF had a better signal than usual with JimBo, making me wonder if it were on 10 kW day power/pattern.

690, UT Sunday May 5 at 0500, sign-off announcement, 0500.5 UT, taps start from KGGF Coffeyville KS, to be followed by open carrier all night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 850, May 3 at 0144 UT, instrumental hymns, Rock of Ages, Blessèd Assurance, etc., dominant signal, certainly not KOA yet; 0150 fading but tentative ID as KFUO, which I was suspecting, LCMS mouthpiece in Clayton (St Louis) MO. FCC AM Query indeed shows this 5 kW daytimer may now funxion until 0100 UT in May, 0130 in June & July, and there is nothing about a PSSA or PSRA in its FCC correspondence folder, but it might be interesting to explore its history cards converted to pdf which start in 1925 or 1927y.

Oops, according to FCC Sunset info, and no PSSA, KFUO should have been off the air before I heard this, 0144-0150 UT being correct. Their program schedule at
http://www.kfuoam.org/programs/
shows just ``sacred music`` in the evenings, and these different

``Sign-Off Times
    JAN 6:00 PM
    FEB 6:00 PM
    MAR 7:00 PM
    APR 8:00 PM
    MAY 9:00 PM
    JUN 9:00 PM
    JUL 9:00 PM
    AUG 9:00 PM
    SEP 8:00 PM
    OCT 7:00 PM
    NOV 5:30 PM
    DEC 5:30 PM``

I.e. CDT = 0200 UT in May thru August, which doesn`t make sense in the usual pattern, so maybe they do have a PSSA, or influenced by Denver sunset? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

KFUO stays on til sunset at KOA Denver which is 0200 UT in May. 73 KAZ (Neil Kazaross, IL/WI, ABDX via DXLD)

But Denver sunset can`t stay at 0200 for four months in a row, so there must be some other calculation (Glenn Hauser, ibid.)

It could simply be that during those four months, when sunset is much later in the evening, KFUO simply chooses to "draw the line" at 9:00 p.m. Yes, they are entitled to stay on until Denver LSS in any month (and KFUO has made use of that privilege for MANY years), but that doesn't mean that they have to. 73, (Rick Dau, South Omaha, Nebraska, ibid.)

** U S A. 1120, May 7 at 0600 UT, KMOX misses the CBS bong before the news, after ID as also on 102.5, KEZK HD3. Geez, who needs a cheezy HD3 simulcast when there`s 50 kW clear channel on AM? (Almost: just after I heard CCI from cheating daytimer KEOR; see OKLAHOMA)

May 8 at 0519 UT, KMOX has frequency to itself, no KEOR cheater audible unlike last night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1270, May 4 at 1203 UT, IRN-USA `news` is competing with Spanish from Tulsa, then at 1207 some local ads for Liberal KS, so KSCB, 5 kW daytimer is making it, only with some skywave, not groundwave (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1450, May 5 at 0527-0530 UT monitored 1452 with USB just in case some Morse code would be detectable from WKAL Rome NY, in last minutes of its DX test I never expected to hear this far away, and indeed I did not. Per NRC AM Log, had been silent since April 2011, ironically sloganed ``All Christian, all the time``, with address in Charlotte NC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1210, May 5 at 0520 UT, Spanish preaching separable from KGYN Guymon, ``US Country`` due west (and obviously on day pattern again). Suspecting KUBR 10/5 kW 24h Cadena Cristiana in San Juan (McAllen) TX, tried to // it with sibling station on 890, KVOZ (Laredo), but too much WLS.

There are no 1210s in northern or western Mexico, so probably KUBR, tho 50/5 kW XEBCO in Colima2 would be nice, IMER station 24 hours, which would not be preaching, and which IRCA asks if it is really on the air? It`s NOT listed by Cantú or WRTH {and no XEBCO on any frequency in Cantú}. The SS had faded out completely by 0522 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1420, May 7 at 0550 UT, C2CAM discussion of Roswell, UFOs, dominant signal, seems ENE/WSW. C2C station list search turns up four on 1420, primary being WOC in IA; also KTAN AZ, KTOE MN, WACT AL; most likely WOC which has a lobe this way (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)