Re: [IRCA] KLYC 1260 signs off Air March 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Re: [IRCA] KLYC 1260 signs off Air March 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Dennis,

Yes, that is sad to see the station go. I don't like to see any AM
station go off the air, but the old ones, it is even more sad.
I remember well the days when so many of the Valley stations were solid
as a rock and were popular. KMCM was very popular and I remember
visiting the station one afternoon and several sles people were running
around trying to get the new sports on the air before the weekend. The
station had a personality Pop type format. KSLM 1390 was the number one
station in Salem, no other station could compete with the good Adult
Standards format they had.  KGAY 1430 Salem was C&W and the old KAPT
1220 could not compete with them and went off the air, as they were only
a 1 KW Daytimer.  KBZY 1490 was a popular Top 40 station, as well as
K-FLY Corvallis. Ah, the good ol' days when AM was king. Visiting the
stations was a lot of fun in those days as they each had live DJs and a
lot of station personal were there. The stations were alive and
colorful. Each one was different and interesting to listen to.
I get KLYC at about S4-5 during the day. Their signal is a lot weaker
than they once were. They used to be about S9. They are weak enough now,
I get some splatter from KBAM 1270 as they are S9 off the SW EWE. So sad
to see another piece of history going.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin