Re: [IRCA] A Cold, Harsh Reality for Radio

Re: [IRCA] A Cold, Harsh Reality for Radio

It is funny, I was doing a bit of phasing this afternoon on 1230, my
local KVAS, Astoria which I worked for back in the 70s. KVAS went to
dead air and then into the Trailblazer Basketball Network. They paused
for pregame spots, and I was surprised to hear network cover promos to
buy tickets. No local spots!! That would never have happened when I
worked at KVAS, under the then owner Chuck Farmer. Sports was always
sold solid. all things may not always have been, but Sports, tons of
pre-pregame spots and post-post game spots, all the way through.
Unfortunately, KVAS has become what so many other stations have become.
Also listening to their satellite C&W format, I rarely hear any spots.
The three AM stations in Clatsop County always had separate owners, but
not any longer. KAST/KVAS are both co owned these days, along with a
bunch of FMs. The OM told me he never even listens to KVAS and he is the
Operations Manager! It is really sad. Chuck Farmer must be rolling over
in his grave. Besides that, with their move to Warrenton from Astoria,
they no longer have power, when outages take place, so they lost the EAS
to a non-commercial FM.
   Maybe one reason I am critical of what has happened, is I worked in
the real radio days.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin