Re: [IRCA] FCC may help remove electrical noise

Re: [IRCA] FCC may help remove electrical noise

It is interesting this question has come up now as I was discussing the
future of MW AM just the other day with a CE with so many Canadians
moving to FM. Here in the US, there are too many stations. As most do
not make much of a profit and the FM generally supports the AM, if
available. If it is a stand-alone AM, many seem to fail. Then they
return with more programming that will fail again and again. With all of
the FCC updates, there seem to be more and more AM stations going to an
all sports format. Sure the electrical noise needs to be addressed, but
better programming is the real problem with AM radio.
  I mentor 3 kids that go to our church. Two that are 17 and the other
in college at 18 and none of them ever listen to the radio period! Their
mother listens to FM on a rare occasion. She is 41. I have asked if High
School or College kids listen to the radio and the answer is always, not
that they know of. What happens once our generation is gone.? I am 64.
Some people I know in radio, still live in the 1960s bubble. They cannot
understand why anyone would not listen to radio. It is really sad what
has happened to so much of the broadcasting industry. Old call letters
have been thrown away. So many corporate owners only care about the
bottomline. So much of the classic history is gone. When I worked in
radio in the 70s, Radio was RADIO. Live programming and local. At least
here in Clatsop County some stations still are pretty local.
Just my take on it.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin