Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] 1550 kHz

On Monday 17 December 2012 01:13:08 Jim Renfrew wrote:
> DEC 17
>
> 0000    1550    WDLR    OH    Delaware    Caught one "WDLR" ID, but mostly
> "True Oldies" and "WQTT 1270"
> 0105    1550    WMDH    IN    New Castle    ID heard severl times before I
> was able to puzzle it out.  Not sure of format, some Christmas stuff, but
> might have been NOS or country.  Hard to tell.  Relog.

WMDH is supposed to have changed calls to WLTI, but perhaps they're
simulcasting sister station WMDH-FM.  I recorded 1550 overnight, so I checked
my recording around 0105, but couldn't pull out any ID.  The dominant station
had a series of ads or PSAs with phone numbers, but I wasn't able to pin down
who it was (but I suspect KLFJ).

My real target was KAPE, who popped up on my radar after Saul Chernos
reported hearing them on Saturday night / Sunday morning.  Sweet success at
0305, when I caught a nice ID from KAPE, mixing with the usual Branson
blather from KLFJ.  Nice to snag one more new one on 1550 before the move of
CBEF from 540 becomes permanent!

Thanks to Saul for the heads-up about KAPE, and about 1550 being temporarily
free of CBEF.  One wonders if they are using this down time to survey the
channel and see if other stations are protecting them as they should be.  It
would be an interesting survey, as off the top of my head, I could name at
least three 1550 stations that are definitely not running their proper night
power/pattern in recent times.

Barry

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON