[IRCA] not quite mw....

I know this will be of interest to Nick (and hopefully others) after his mw
chasing of Africans this summer.  And I know 160m and mw sometime seem to
behave very independently.... There is a ham expedition to Mauritania
http://5t0sp.dxing.pl/  active at the moment.  I heard them today Dec 6
around 2300 ut (close to our sunset) on 1822.5 cw - not strong but copyable
at times.  What I found unusual, other than hearing them at all, was that I
heard them only on the "high" dipole, altho it's that that high for 160m
(~100') and it's right off the end as well.  What I consider a far better
antenna for DX (and it has been 99.9% of the time) is the full size 160 4
sq (with lots of radials) which didn't hear anything from them.  Another
amateur, VE5UA/6 about 150 km NE of me with similar dipole and 4sq antenna
found the same result.

On MW around the same I was only seeing a faint carrier on 1575.

73 Don
VE6JY