From: Walter Salmaniw <canswl@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Nov 10, 2012 3:32 pm
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Oregon Cliff Ultralight TP's for 11-10

You got that right, Gary!  As we get older, it's SO much nicer sitting in
the vehicle happily dialing away with the roof mounted FSL!  Time does fly
when you're having fun.  I recall virtually DXing around the clock in
Masset in the dead of winter.  Heck, who has time to eat when the DX keeps
rolling in!   73,...Walt

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 2:07 PM, <d1028gary@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>      Thanks very much to Richard, Bill, Dennis, Nick and Walt for their
> TP-DXing reports this morning-- which provide some reassurance that I'm
> still halfway normal... despite chasing TP-DX at the top of a 400 foot
> ocean side cliff in the freezing cold for 6 hours straight.
>      It was a pretty wild TP-DXing session at the "Rockwork 4" ocean side
> cliff (south of Cannon Beach, OR) this morning, as the Japanese pounded in
> like they were locals. Although I was hoping for a few DU signals at this
> sheer cliff site, nothing from south of the Equator showed up except for
> 738-Tahiti (at a vibrant level). Asiatic signals completely took over the
> band, with no fewer than 8 Japanese stations pegging the PL-380's S/N
> reading at the 25 maximum during the sunrise session (531, 567, 594, 693,
> 747, 774, 828 and 1287 kHz). A mix of 3 stations on 603 kHz (China, HLSA
> and the Japanese NHK1 synchros) also pegged the PL-380's S/N around 1500
> UTC , and 558 kHz had a snarl between JOCR and HLQH. During peak sunrise
> enhancement around 1450 almost every Japanese station that I checked had
> vibrant signals, along with the usual Asiatic mainland big guns (639, 657,
> 972, etc.).
>      In contrast to the leisurely summer DU-DXing at this same site in
> August the weather was freezing cold, with a prediction of rain and wind to
> come in tomorrow and Monday. There was even an inch of snow along Highway
> 101 in Seaside as we drove in yesterday-- which seemed almost bizarre after
> the warm summer vacations that we have spent here for the last 3 years.
> Because of the prediction of nasty weather it seemed best to go all-out
> this morning DXing at the cliff site, so TP's were checked during the
> entire period from 1000-1550 (taking several breaks to warm up in the car).
> After going through this entire freezing session there was a strong
> motivation to develop an Ultralight radio-oriented version of the Broadband
> FSL (pioneered by Chuck and Guy for Perseus-SDR users), so that even
> ULR-DXers can sit in their comfortable, warm cars and DX to their heart's
> content at these awesome ocean cliff sites... ignoring the nasty weather
> outside.
>
> 73 and Good DX,
> Gary DeBock (temporarily in Cannon Beach, OR)
> 7.5" MW loopstick Tecsun PL-380 Ultralight +
> 8" "DXpedition" FSL antenna
> (the exact same equipment as at home in Puyallup, WA)

editors, publishing staff, or officers