[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, September 21-27, 2012

[IRCA] Domestic MW DX to Enid OK, September 21-27, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

These logs are in three sexions, Oklahoma, rest of USA, unidentified, separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA [and non]. 960, Sept 23 at 0501 UT, local KGWA is in dead air again, as usual for the midnight news hole, and I do mean hole. So I null it as best as possible, turn up the volume and try to make out what`s under it. ABC News from something, but KGWA blasts back on with a local commercial at 0505 before the understation can ID. NRC AM Log shows KMA Shenandoah IA fits with ABC, but NRC Pattern Book shows only a minor lobe SSW, mostly NNE at night. Also WERC Birmingham AL is ABC, but most of its signal goes SSW with a null toward us (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 960, Sept 27 at 0500 UT, local KGWA Enid stops modulating right after TOH ID, and continues dead air for 5 minutes instead of any network news. I null and try again to hear something else: there are at least two weak signals, but also combating storm noise tonight. Will keep trying, but trouble is, I will probably hear nothing but network news from the understations before KGWA resumes at 0505, when I could be searching for Mexican national and state anthems at local midnight (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1020, Sept 25 at 1246 UT, semi-local KOKP Perry is off. Too bad I wasn`t up earlier for some real DX on this frequency. Back on at 1730 check (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1150, Sept 25 at 1253 with KSAL Salina KS nulled, temps around Oklahoma and then forecast for McAlester. It`s KNED, 1 kW nondirexional daytime, but never heard here with KSAL owning frequency. A bit of skywave left is bringing it in (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1210, Sept 24 at 1231 UT ``Mid-America Network News`` with report on dangerous zebra mussels found in a Kansas lake; something about Stillwater and other OK items, then weather on ``US Country 1210 KGYN`` Guymon. Seems this is really Mid America Ag Network, which has unnamed stations all over Kansas, some in Nebraska and one in the OK Panhandle, per coverage map:
http://www.midamericaagnetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74&Itemid=78
(Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

=====================

** U S A. 770, Sept 24 at 1149 UT, well before sunrise, weather and temps around New Mexico on ``770 KKOB``. Weak but steady signal, presumably 230-watt non-direxional relay in Santa Fe (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 840, Sept 21 at 1204 UT network news I figure is KXNT NV again, but no, it`s ABC, not CBS, about that GMA TV gal who is getting a bone marrow transplant from her sister, 1205 into local news from KTIC in West Point NE. Similar weak and steady signal with frequency to itself (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 850, Wed Sept 26 at 1232 UT, Spanish prayer with English accent, then cantor in Catholic mass. Must be the frequency hijacked from Anadarko OK to become KJON, COL Carrollton TX, address in Dallas, of the Guadalupe Radio Network, i.e. Mexi-Catholic. Program schedule
http://grnonline.info/images/stories/SpanishKJONSchedule2012.pdf
shows ``Santa Misa desde la Capilla de Nuestra Señora de Los Ángeles (en vivo)`` Mon-Sat 7-8 am [CT], and a different live mass for a sesquihour on Sundays. Also displays logo of EWTN as an affiliate, and could well be // WEWN on SW, unchecked. Meanwhile, no sign of KOA which should not have faded out just yet (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 860, Sept 27 at 1233 UT a polka catches my ear. Soon ad for something in Brazilton which apparently sponsors daily polka? And on into CBS News Update about sports. It`s KKOW Pittsburg KS, near Brazilton KS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 880, Sept 24 at 1153 UT, series of three program promos on the Tan Talk Radio Network, i.e. KLRG Sheridan (Little Rock) AR, relaying WTAN 1340 in Clearwater, Florida. Website
http://www.tantalk1340.com/
conveniently displays the extent of this network at pagetop: ``WTAN-AM 1340 WDCF-AM 1350 WZHR-AM 1400 KLRG-AM 880 TAN TALK RADIO NETWORK``.
i.e. two other little Florida stations and this big one way off in Arkansas, why? Beware, site autolaunches audio QRMing whatever one is already listening to, how rude; and disregard the encoding openly visible at pagebottom (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1010, Sept 26 at 1227, bigsig from preacher in Spanish, no doubt KXXT Tolleson AZ (Phoenix), as previously IDed. He`s explaining that ``barbero`` means brownnose, not barber, which is peluquero. OK. He`s still going past 1235, tho by 1237 I am getting more from MO & UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1010, Sept 26 at 1237 UT, sermon in English begins to take over from Spanish de Arizona. This loops NW/SE so it`s not KXEN but KIHU in Tooele (Salt Lake City) UT; but by 1242 KXEN from the NE, St. Louis MO ex-Festus is dominating, closing a quarter-hour huxter in English, then 314-AC phonumber ad for a Christian bookstore (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1020, Sept 23 at 1201 UT, banda music, late ID for ``KMMQ, Omaha-Lincoln, La Nueva``, with the call letters only pronounced in English, altho not required. Making slow SAH with semi-local KOKP Perry OK, nulled. Their official sunrise to 50 kW daypower was 1200, but in October: 1230 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1030, Sept 21 at 0533 UT, ``Newstalk 1030, KFAY`` promo Bill Cunningham Sunday nights, i.e. Farmington [sic] AR, 1 kW at night, vs. something with gospel music, probably 500-watt KCWJ up in Blue Springs MO (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1040, Sept 24 at 1157 UT, WHO Des Moines IA catches my ear because they are promoting an upcoming broadcast Friday morning from 500 feet underground at a Martin-Marietta limestone ``mine`` near Ames; no photography or <10-year-olds allowed down there, but y`all come to see the displays on the surface. Gates open at 4:30 am. Sounds like fun! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Sept 21 at 1211 UT, jingle and Spanish ID as KIJN, fast SAH with something. This is the 3-watter in Farwell TX, Panhandle on the NM border, but 10 kW day power should not start until 1230 UT official September FCC sunrise (and 1300 in October). FCC AM Query shows it as a strict daytimer, no night authorization at all, but NRC AM Log also shows a 3-watt pre-sunrise authorization. This is too weak for 10 kW and too strong for 3 watts! Pattern is almost non-direxional with a slight bulge to the NW. IJN obviously derives from ``In Jesus` Name``, (amen!) but I am at a loss for what it could mean on this solely-Spanish station. Ideas? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1090, Sept 27 at 1225 UT, pledge drive with phone 888-447-2425, for which you also get a prayer! Mentions ``Catholic radio``, has 5-day drives in spring and fall to pay most of expenses. Phone traces to KEXS Excelsior Springs MO (and apparently relayed on KPIO 1570 Loveland CO) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1180, Sept 23 at 0459 UT, a signal not suffering from KFAQ 1170 IBOC, so was it off or just in a fade? Stayed with it, hoping for WHAM, but after ads for cupcakes and Ronzo(?) restaurants, ``Sports radio in Omaha, 1180, Zone 2, The Deuce, KZOT, Omaha-Council Bluffs``, into a Yahoo Sports Minute. I guess KZOT stands for Zone Two; what does that allude to? Last I noticed, this was KOIL. FCC Call Sign History shows:
KZOT 	 06/04/2012
KOIL 	 01/01/2009
KYDZ 	 04/22/2003
KOIL 	 08/24/1993
KKAR 	 01/22/1987
KNPE 	 08/15/1984
So where is the KOIL call now? Back to 1290; make up your mind?
KOIL 	 06/04/2012
KKAR 	 08/24/1993
DKOIL  08/24/1993
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1350, Sept 21 at 1214 UT, Spanish sports news about Julio César Chávez, a boxer alleged to have smoked marihuana before his latest fight in Nevada, mentions Univisión América in passing. So sports talk in Spanish isn`t necessarily from ESPN Deportes. Instead of a complete affiliate list, the Emisoras drop-down at http://univisionamerica.univision.com/
leads only to nine major-market stations, including San Antonio 1350.

This is surely KCOR San Antonio, 5/5 kW, a legacy station allowed to keep day power at night as long as it shoots most of its signal into the Gulf, vs non-direxional daytime. Official LSR was 1200 UT, to be 1215 in October. No doubt the call originally alluded to corazón, deep in the heart of Texas.

After battling a sports-talker en inglés at 1217, back up at 1218 with Spanish ad for 99-Cent Stores. I see there are several in San Antonio, undercutting Family Dollar? No, belong to F.D. itself; they know how to market! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Sept 21 at 1220 UT, YL with school lunch menus including Phillipsburg, how local! Some SS sports QRM probably Tulsa at right angle; then ads for Norton, i.e. KQNK Norton KS, ``Your hometown station`` per NRC AM Log. It`s in N Central KS, next to NE (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1560, Sept 24 at 1201 UT, rare Star Spangled Banner is playing, sounds like a `live` recording from some event, segué to John Wayne (?) reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. Are these daily rituals? Bigsig as suspected is just KGOW in Bellaire (Houston) TX, as on into sports talk with 713-AC phone.

At 46/15 kW, The Game is often reported from deep South America. 9-tower night pattern has one huge lobe at 146 degrees:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1325314-108410.pdf

Only 6 towers employed on day pattern, but it is currently Not Found:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/1486999-117530.pdf
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1660, Sept 21 at 1224 UT, super-hype voice actor (SHVA) exclaiming ``más música``, during which of course, there is less music than if he would just shut up. There he goes again, after the next tune. Also IDs merely as 16-60 AM, which we already know. Loops NW/SE so no doubt KXOL Brigham City UT (for Mitt`s extended Mexican family??). Soon overcome by English ESPN which would be KRZI Waco, with KUDL Kansas City somewhere below them (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==================

UNIDENTIFIED. 730, Sept 26 at 1213 UT, open carrier with hum again, looping WSW/ENE, but it`s not XEHB in Chihuahua, as 107.1 / 730 Ke Buena was mixing with it at 1215 and gaining ascendancy. So, a domestic about to sign on at 1215 LSR? The closest ones in those direxions would be KWRE in Missouri and KDAZ in NM, but both should already be on the air, night or day (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 830, Sept 20 at 1123 UT I make out one word vs WCCO QRM, ``Consentida``. Since that is often a station name or nickname I hope to find a Mexican in the lists, but not in IRCA, Cantú or WRTH. (WCCO has Charles Osgood endorsing stamps.com; come on!) Searching on ``la consentida 830`` leads to one old blog post from 2005y referring to that as in Mexico City. Now the M.C. station on 830 is XEITF, Radio Capital. Too flimsy a connexion (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

A wild guess on your 830: 830 -- WFNO, Norco (Metarie-New Orleans suburbs), LA. Claims to be Spanish?? Pattern doesn't look too great on Radio Locator, but stranger things have happened. Pretty effectively blocked here by blowtorch WBAP 820, sandwiched on the other side by KJON 850 here in Carrollton. The 800s are a train wreck here, depending on location (820, 850, 870, 890). Dallas is probably too far north to help much with 800, as XEROK is kind of solid here, and then there's WBAP (David R. Block, ptsw yg via DXLD)

Shux, in this case I didn`t even think of a US station. NRC AM Log does show WFNO 24 hours, 750 watts at night, ``La Raza 830 AM`` (gh)

UNIDENTIFIED. 930, Sept 24 at 1219 UT around local sunrise here, I get a touchy tight null on groundwave from WKY OKC, to hear another station in Spanish. With WKY minimized, it`s still a battle to pull out this weak signal with Mexican music, but differentiable (this word is not redlined by MSWord), from WKY as long as La Indomable is yakking. 1221 a singing ID, ``Radio ---`` something; losing by 1229. Cantú shows not a single Mexican in the NW part of the country, (but IRCA has XERLA in Santa Rosalía BCS, 1 kW daytimer, but Cantú has it on 940, as does WRTH 2012 with 10/1 kW.)

So how about US SS stations on 930, from central to west? In NRC AM Log 2012-2013, the only possibility is KHJ Los Ángeles, which OMG, is now ``La Ranchera``. Night pattern is a tangent circle to the SSE, with a little blob opposite, but side null is further north than Enid, so we should get some signal about like this from 5 kW. No sign of KAPR in Douglas AZ as recently heard on SRS, not Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 930, Sept 26 at 1217 UT, weak music, maybe ranchera, in null of WKY OKC while it was yakking, making SAH of approx. 5 Hz. 1229 barely heard I think a partial timecheck, ``son las cinco ---``, but still need definite ID of KHJ Los Ángeles, Alta California (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 930, Sept 27 at 1218 UT just before sunrise here, I am getting closer to a definite ID of KHJ Los Ángeles in null of WKY OC: barely hear a ``La Ranchera`` jingle (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1000, Sept 27 at 1222 UT, in KTOK OKC null, instead of the usual SS inhabitant from Ciudad Juárez, I am hearing a discussion in English of women and religion, making a slow SAH. NRC AM Log possibilities:

KKIM Albuquerque NM, Christian Talk Radio, non-direxional, 10 kW day but not if it is really running night power of 38 watts or psra of 12.2 watts!

KCEO Vista CA, EWTN, near San Diego, but it`s 2500/250 direxional south

WXTN Benton MS, GOS format, 5 kW daytimer, non-direxional. Seems a bit late for that eastward as the sun has just risen here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1279, Sept 21 at 0537 UT, once again for third time a weak off-frequency carrier making a 1-kHz het with 1280 stations. Loops NE/SW. I`ve yet to see any other reports of this. Based solely on approx. direxion, proximity, some possibilities:

WBIG Aurora IL
WGBF Evansville IN
KCOB Newton IA
WFYC Alma MI
WWTC Minneapolis MN
KDKD Clinton MO
KYRO Troy MO
WONW Defiance OH
KSLI Abilene TX
KMFR Pearsall TX
WGLR Lancaster WI
WNAM Neenah-Menasha WI
CFMB Montreal QC [far, but 50 kW]
XEBQ Chihuahua Chih

{anyhow, it can`t be a Cuban} If not at night when I hear this, people within daytime range could check these out. Of course it could also be one of those top-secret US government tests. It`s not my semi-local KSOK Ark City KS, confirmed at 1525 UT Sept 21 as on-frequency (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

It's not WBIG so you can scratch them off your list. Checked them at 1400 CDT and they are on frequency (Tom Jasinski, Joliet, IL, Sept 21, IRCA via DXLD)

No trace of a carrier or anything on 1279 here in St. Louis Missouri where all I have IDed in tonight's High School Football frenzy is WBIG Aurora Illinois already known to be on 1280.

Add WWTC to your list of stations that it isn't, just got an ID from them at 0230 UT behaving nicely on 1280. Sincerely, (Earl Higgins, RX-321 and 15 m end fed wire thing outside St. Louis, Missouri, USA (W 90.32 N 38.65), UT Sept 22, mwdx yg via DXLD)

The off-frequency station is neither WNAM 1280 out of Wisconsin nor WFYC. They are both daytimers here and both nicely on frequency (Scott, NM8R, IRCA via DXLD)

Scanning my Perseus SSS recording from UT Sep. 21st, 2012 at 0200 UT, I see no 1 kHz offset carrier on 1280. WNAM is spot-on (Tim Tromp, West Michigan, IRCA via DXLD)

I looked around 0500 UT here on the west coast and nothing noted as
well (Walt Salmaniw, Victoria, BC, IRCA via DXLD)

Nothing here on 1279 at 0531 UT Sept 22 (Sylvain Naud, Portneuf QC, IRCA via DXLD)

No trace of anything on 1279 has ever been noted on any antenna or any Perseus recording. 73 KAZ 35 miles NW of Chicago Sept 22 irca

UNIDENTIFIED. 1279, Sept 22 at 0459 UT, no 1-kHz-off-frequency carrier audible tonight, nor heard by several others in diverse parts of North America, looking for it following my last report. Also several confirmations that some of the possibilities I mentioned from local daytime range are not off frequency, I will compile later, but meanwhile please keep checking day and night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1280: While the last three times I heard it, I was sure it was a carrier on 1279 kHz only, tonight I am just as sure that it`s also on 1281, i.e. instead of an off-frequency station, someone on-frequency with a 1 kHz tone, 0520+ UT Tuesday Sept 25. (So unlikely to be findable in the daytime, but tnx to those who checked). It`s still looping NE/SW of here, pretty weak. It has not been there every night. Hope someone can locate it. 73, (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, on several DX lists, especially MW, and DX LISTENING DIGEST) No replies seen yet

UNIDENTIFIED. 1650, Sept 24 at 1204 UT, romantic music in Spanish, ``la música continúa sin comerciales, en María(??)``. Not at all sure of that name, probably wrong. Seems to be from east-west, but I also need to null local KFXY 1640 which is SSE, so that may be skewed. Could be KSVE El Paso TX, NRC AM Log listed with romántica format; or maybe KXOL Brigham City UT, not the other two US SS stations which are religious. Could DXer Vance in El Paso confirm activity status of KSVE?

However, it`s hard to imagine such stations announcing proudly as non-commercial. New XEARZ in Mexico City has been doing just that, per reports. As in non-profit, per Cantú: ``1650 XEARZ Zer Radio 5,000 watts. Permisionada (sin fines de lucro) pero parte de Grupo Zer``

Still no definite logs of that known from north of the border, altho Bryan Clark has heard it (very) south of the border, in New Zealand, August 23 at 0609, 0658, so it is (or was) all-night. Definite logs of KSVE are just as rare (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)