Re: [IRCA] Cape Perpetua, Oregon Cliffside DXing - Sept. 9th

Re: [IRCA] Cape Perpetua, Oregon Cliffside DXing - Sept. 9th

Steve -

From Grayland, Brisbane is at 245 degrees and Tokyo is at 299 degrees. The FSL beamwidth has no problem getting them both at the same time.

Chuck

On 9/10/2012 8:17 PM, Steve Ratzlaff wrote:
Thanks for the very interesting report on the untuned FSL and preamp. You didn't say but apparently you parked so the FSL was peaked/pointed for maximum pickup toward the North Pacific. You might have had better DU reception if it had been pointed the DU direction. Looking at your pictures, your transformer would work better as a broadband transformer if the windings were overlapping instead of side by side. The impedance matching transformer articles by Nick Hall-Patch and John Bryant at dxing.info explain this. I've done my own tests and overlapping windings always work better for broadband toroid transformers. (It's possible the small impedance transformation doesn't do much too, but it probably doesn't hurt much either, if at all.)
73 and hope you continue to have good coastal vacation DXing.
Steve
NE Oregon