[IRCA] The DXers blight - the new QRN

In less than a year, my noise level in my concrete and
steel tower has gone from below -110dbm (less than S1)
to S7 to S9 on the medium waves.

YouTube snippet - http://youtu.be/a3B_7CsjRGc

I guess this is the blight of our digital age...
wireless TV's, wireless DVD players, wireless printers,
internet over the power line - all with crappy
switching power supplies made in China with little
or no shielding.

(A year ago) Our local dx group worked with our local electrical
utility and telecom industry regulator to isolate
and eliminate an interference source near
a local park that was so powerful, it was easily
audible under a 50 kw local.

Each agency spent a few hours snooping around
the neighborhood with equipment easily from the
late 70's and totally unsuited to noise sleuthing -
finding nothing.

We isolated it to a couple of power poles, one of which
was feeding an apartment building - the likely culprit
a Chinese made stair-master with a power supply that was
easily radiating 15 to 20 watts of RF on the long, medium
and shortwaves.

In the year or so since we did that failed attempt at
eliminating a noise source, similar broad spectrum
noises have appeared in a variety of neighborhoods in
Victoria.

Bottom line - there is no commitment to fixing the problem
because, after all, there is nothing on AM or SW anymore
right?

Will be interesting to see what happens when all the
digital interference that we are generating starts
to interfere with this things we really enjoy!

Colin Newell - Victoria area DXer and radio enthusiast