Re: [IRCA] Recent DXpedition to Grayland, WA & Florence, OR

Re: [IRCA] Recent DXpedition to Grayland, WA & Florence, OR

This is getting more and more interesting! Thank you Gary and Bill for the
recent cliffside DXing results, and Nick for sleuthing out the limited
technical papers on this topic.

Some years ago during an annual family vacation to Yachats, Oregon, I was
parked at that exact spot of Gary's wonderful receptions, wondering if that
might be a good place to DX-- if only an antenna could be devised. I was
still in the mindset of large passive antennas like a Beverage or a lengthy
active loop array being the only way to seriously DX. One look over the
guard rail, down that steep cliff to the crashing surf below convinced not
to try anything crazy like an impromptu vertical antenna!

Gary's boldness to blaze the trail by DXing with an FSL between cliff and
traffic dangers at this beautiful, coastal Oregon location has gotten me
interested in figuring out a way to try a different way to DX from this
wide spot in the road. I'm looking forward to giving it a try in early
September. My goal is to be able to make broadband Perseus SDR recordings
from the relative safety of a vehicle at this DX-friendly cliff QTH on
Oregon's Highway 101.

My wife doesn't know it, but her SUV is about to become a PRV... (Perseus
Recording Vehicle  :^)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA