From: Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Jul 20, 2012 9:50 am
Subject: [IRCA] not DU's from Jordan River, BC

This morning I thought I'd try to level the playing field a bit with
cliffside Gary, by being waterside Nick, and going out to Jordan
River, BC in the wee hours, and setting up a receiver on the shore of
Juan de Fuca Strait.  This isn't on the edge of the Pacific exactly,
though it has a water path to the Pacific via the strait from about
270 to 290 degrees.    The DU bearings of 220 to 270 degrees are
water path for the last 25 to 45 km, but there is a chunk of
Washington's Olympic peninsula blocking the path for a ways beyond
that.   I debated using a ultralight portable like Gary, but it was
forecasted rain (correct as it turned out), so I opted for a small
ALA100 antenna out in the rain, while I stayed dry in the car driving
an old DR333 radio off the car battery.

So, I guess I was pretty equalized with Gary's cliffside location and
FSL antenna?   Well,  I sure hope conditions were better for
him.    I've had better mornings at home, and fairly recently
too.   Only audios, and very spotty at that,  were on 567 and 612,
peaking around 1220 to 1230 UT.   Lots of carriers, with one odd one,
801, which was quite strong, better than expected 819 for
example.   I double checked conditions using a Sony 2010 with a Kiwa
pocket loop (thanks for the loan, Dr. Salmaniw), and my poor results
weren't a receiver or antenna problem it seems.  And the signal
strength recorder at home also said that an extra few hours in bed
would not have been amiss.

Oh well, DX wouldn't be as interesting if you didn't get skunked once
in awhile I guess.

best wishes,

Nick