Re: [IRCA] Testing the Alinco DX-R8 Receiver

Re: [IRCA] Testing the Alinco DX-R8 Receiver

Howdy Rick,

It's great to see this entry to the dwindling world of tabletop
communications receivers. However, by no stretch of the imagination could
this be called even a "part SDR" radio.

The DX-R8T has standard filtering and presumably AGC and modes taken care
of by hardware components, too. I might be wrong, but this appears to be a
traditional radio with easy provision for I/Q output. The circuitry in the
Alinco information describes the rig as a dual conversion superhetrodyne,
not an SDR.

Still, as a computer-*controlled* receiver on the market, we can be glad it
is available. Mark Coady's review indicates a decent little receiver, for
shortwave at least:  http://www.odxa.on.ca/DXR8T.pdf

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA