 From: "richarda@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <richarda@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, April 28, 2012 2:30:01 AM
Subject: [IRCA] FW: 1000th station heard on ULR

After four years and one month, I was able
to log station #1000 on my barefoot Sony
SRF-T615.

4/27/12
1100 UTC  880 kHz XEPNK, Los Mochis,
Sinaloa, México (2 kW @ 1611 km / 1001 mi).
Heard at 1100 with woman announcing "ochenta
ocho A M", the national anthem of México at
1100-1102, and the recently adopted anthem
of Sinaloa at 1102-1104.  A brief, mostly
unintelligible announcement by a woman at
1104, followed by a romantic song performed
by a woman at 1105. The signal strength was
poor with moderate QRM from Grupo Fórmula
station XEV.  There was also slight QRM from
KRVN.

It is México #181 and Sinaloa #13.

>From rural northern Oklahoma I've been able
to hear stations in 19 countries on four continents
using an Ultralight.  I've yet to hear any signals
from Oceania or South America.

My furthermost reception is HLAZ, 1566 kHz,
Jeju, Republic of Korea, at 11004 km / 6838 miles.
Using a barefoot receiver it is JOGB, 873 kHz,
Kumamoto, Japan, at 10820 km / 6723 miles.

My original intent was never to see how many
stations I could log with an Ultralight Radio. It
simply evolved in that direction as I continued
to listen. Originally it was the challenge of
hearing signals from Asia and Europe on a
pocket size receiver.  It occurred a few months
later when I heard JOUB, Akita, Japan, on 747 kHz.
Hearing faint Japanese talk here in Oklahoma
on a tiny SRF-T615 receiver that first time remains
the most exciting moment in this adventure.
I think the only thing that could beat it would be
to hear Australia.

Best wishes and good DX.

Richard

Richard Allen