[IRCA] CKMO-900 news

from Northwest Broadcasters
http://members.shaw.ca/nwbroadcasters/recentnews.htm

*Campus radio station **Village 900* <http://www.villagenow.net/>* CKMO
Victoria was taken over yesterday by **Camosun College* <http://camosun.ca/>
* students protesting cuts to its communications program.  The 40-year-old
program, which trains students in television, broadcasting, publishing and
public relations, will stop taking new students in the fall.  Village
900left the public airwaves in early March in favor an Internet-only
operation. *
**
*link then goes to
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Camosun+students+take+over+campus+radio+station+protest+cuts/6442607/story.html
*
**
**

Camosun College students have taken over the campus radio station to
protest cuts to the college’s applied communication program.

Students and alumni are taking turns on air and speaking out against plans
to shut down the program and Village 900 CKMO.

Protesters also put up banners around campus, established social media
sites and planned to stay at the radio station overnight Wednesday.

“There’s going to be a lot of students sleeping over at the station,
occupying the station and hosting shows throughout the night,” said
Marielle Moodley, a first-year communication student. “It’s one of the ways
that we’re trying to spread the message.”

Camosun president Kathryn Laurin announced last week that the college was
suspending the two-year program.

The 40-year-old program, which trains students in television, broadcasting,
publishing and public relations, will stop taking new students in the fall.

Laurin said the college needed to trim costs to erase a $2.5-million
deficit and balance its budget as required by the B.C. government. The
college’s funding has been frozen for three years, leaving no cash to cover
inflationary costs.

John Boraas, vice-president of education, said the college targeted areas
that need updating and would affect the fewest students.

He said applied communication had about 40 students and needed renewal. The
suspension gives officials a year to consider options such as launching a
digital media program.

Laurin made clear Wednesday that the applied communication program in its
current form is likely dead. “I think, at this particular juncture, we’re
looking to cancel the program,” she told reporters.

Dylan Wilks, a second-year applied communication student, said the decision
makes little sense when the college is going to need community support.

“It just seems really near-sighted to me at a time when they’re going to
need money,” he said. “They’re going to need positive press, and I don’t
know what other programs encourage students to spend as much time out in
the community as this one.”

Laurin confirmed the cuts last week. The learning skills program will also
be cut, English language development will be reduced, and network
electronics will be suspended.

lkines@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Read more:
http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Camosun+students+take+over+campus+radio+station+protest+cuts/6442607/story.html#ixzz1rrMgMFgn

I am not sure if this is actually going over 900 AM; I am at work and do
not have a way to check this.