[IRCA] 1610 touchtone phone beeps?

I have a 30-mile commute to work, traveling roughly north-south between
Waynesburg, PA and Morgantown, WV. This morning, I noticed touchtone beeps
on 1610, in a simple repeated pattern of 4 tones every few seconds, in an
almost Latin rhythm, with the 4th tone played like a sixteenth ahead of the
beat.  I assumed it was our local 10 watt TIS, but I heard this pattern
consistently, and fairly strongly, my entire commute, and again driving home
tonight. I could hear the audio loop of our TIS in the background, unrelated
to the tone signal. Tonight around 8 pm EST I still heard the tones faintly
through CHHA. But by the time I got home and went outside w/my PL-606 to DF
the tones, they were gone (9:30 pm EST). I'll take the PL-606 to work
tomorrow to see if the tones are still there, and DF them. Any idea what I
might be hearing? It's too strong & widespread for a TIS. It must be fairly
close, since I'm hearing it day and night-like maybe in the general area of
Pittsburgh-Wheeling-Morgantown-Cumberland.

Fred Schroyer - Violonista Canhoto

Freelance Writer/Editor/Book Developer

Waynesburg, PA 15370 - Approx 40N/80W

ibfreditor@xxxxxxxxx