[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, February 13-19, 2012

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, February 13-19, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

** CUBA. Several MW frequencies are in well with somewhat auroral conditions, Feb 16 around 0630 UT, such as 590, 670, 710, and on 570 I am hearing the R. Reloj tix and `RR` Morse Code once a minute, but not the continuous newstalk in Spanish which ought to be louder. Do they sometimes take a rest and just run the clock? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. With conditions somewhat auroral, SW degraded, it`s worth checking MW Feb 16 in the nightmiddle altho CBW and WCCO are still in:

720, Feb 16 at 0625 UT, temp 15 centígrados, ID as ``La Kaliente`` as WGN is easily nulled. IRCA Mexican Log shows this slogan only for XEDE Saltillo, Coahuila. Radio stations always spell it with a K-, hotly defying proper Spanish orthography.

750, Feb 16 at 0626 UT, strong open carrier with WSB nulled, i.e. southwards, suspiciously Mexican, but which?

770, Feb 16 at 0627, ID for XERFR, 970, Radio Fórmula, i.e. the key station of the network in the DF, where they are clueless that the local frequency is inapplicable on countless affiliates. This one must be XEACH, Monterrey NL.

Next session pre-sunrise, Feb 16:

710, Feb 16 at 1227 song ``Quiero que me llames tú`` (I want you to call me), with tuba band, or she will also accept texts, 1228 ID as ``XEDP, La Ranchera de Cuauhtémoc``, very good and dominant signal one would easily guess is 50 kW instead of listed 7.

750, Feb 16 at 1232 UT, ID for ``La Huasteca`` with an FM something.5, AM 750, then mentioning Veracruz, Monterrey. But this is XETI, Tempoal, Veracruz, 10000/250 watts per IRCA. Cantú shows FM is 90.5.

What means this name, anyway? It`s not just about Veracruz as there are a couple other stations using Huasteca, on 710 in Tamaulipas and 770 in SLP. It`s that very region inhabited by the Huastecans around the Gulf of Mexico, perhaps also referring to their musical style.

900, Feb 16 at 1236 UT, ``88.9 Noticias`` breaking for YL spouting program promo entirely too rapidly for something coming up on Saturday at noon and Sunday at 10 am, then Mexico City traffic (must cover only the very worst accidents in such a megalopolis), `trivia de hoy` segment. Dominant signal, loops SSW, but doubt it`s XEW itself which used to own the frequency. At 1239 I could hear the XEW chimes go by way underneath this mentioning http://www.889noticias.mx
This certainly originates in Mexico City, on XHM 88.9 by that name, but it`s with Grupo ACIR. Which 900 would be carrying it? Must be OK Noticias, XEOK in Monterrey NL, which Cantú has with that network, altho the 889 website above lacks any affiliate list.

940, Feb 16 at 1301 UT, partial ID mentions Saltillo, Coahuila, grupo sounds like Geni-Radio. Presumably relay by the only Coahuilan on 940, XEYJ, Melchor Múzquiz per Cantú, Nueva Rosita per IRCA, Sabinas per WRTH! But can`t make a connexion with Saltillo in the listings, whence Cantú shows there is a state government network on a bunch of FM stations, Radio Gente.

1030, Feb 16 at 1252 UT, world news headlines by YL with a gunshot or explosion effect between each one, outro as Daniela, 1256 Grupo Fórmula ID, federal PSAs on behalf of the Presidencia which accomplishes great things. 1258, Fórmula 970 program promo, so XEYC Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua again, from WSW.

1040, Feb 16 at 1305 UT, among several Mexican national anthems this one runs the longest, finally sign-on/ID as from Chihuahua, sounded like XEHI, but IRCA says XEHES and so does Cantú:
1040 XEHES Romántica + FM 95.9 Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 250
and into música romántica en inglés.

1090, Feb 16 at 1245 UT, casual speaker acknowledges his mail from listeners as of Feb 15, mentions UNAM and Universidad Iberoamericana, loops N/S. Suspect it is XEAU Monterrey which runs soundtrack of Milenio TV.

BTW, Jim Thomas, WTFDA found this article: ``For anyone that uses the Mexico FM TV website,
http://www.mexicoradiotv.com
here's an interesting story about Fred Cantú. Fred, of course, is the webmaster and researcher of his website that tracks and organizes everything in Mexico that is AM, FM and TV.``

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/kelso/entries/2012/02/09/_beloved_austin_tv_news.html

It seems Fred, a beloved Austin TX TV anchor (in English), had to work for a while at Home Depot before KEYE rehired him. And every single comment appended is positive, a record? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1230, Feb 13 at 2130 UT tuning around caradio, came upon huge variable whine on 1220 and 1240, obviously coming from out-of-whack semi-local WBBZ Ponca City which normally has a clean signal. Could also hear some of it when tuned to 1230 itself. It might have emanated from some horrible traffic light, but remained the same as I traveled on. I stopped on a quiet street and turned off the engine, and it was still there, altho suddenly stopped about a minute later, at 2134 and did not come back, even when I retraced my previous route. I had also quickly tuned thru the entire MW band in case it appear elsewhere, but it did not (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1170, KFAQ Tulsa remains IBOC-free, as Bruce Winkelman first reported a week ago; Feb 13 at 2125 UT, 1160 and 1180 are open for DX tho none is incoming yet. And IBOC has also been off at various nighttime chex (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1070, Feb 13 at 2135 UT, KLIO Wichita KS is in dead air for a few minutes, but with SAH/hum. No one at the studio is paying attention since they picked up the True Oldies satellite feed. It`s always audibly off-frequency causing a significant SAH with KNX or whatever else may be incoming. Meanwhile, the former KFTI Radio Ranch country format has been put on FM 92.3 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)