Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] KHWG 750 Fallon NV Heard in Madison WI

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] KHWG 750 Fallon NV Heard in Madison WI

When I saw Mark's e-mail, it struck me that I had logged KNZZ 1100  Grand
Junction CO as a DX test many years ago. Sure enough, I found it in  my
logbook, 11/30/98 0206-0209 ELT-- "message explaining the NRC, Morse ID's,
closing message." Morse message was KNZZ repeated 11 times in a high pitch
followed by one time at a lower pitch. My notes also say that I followed 1100
for the next hour only to find no more ID'able material.

I did a little research in e-DXN's PDF archives of past DXN's. I  found
that leading up to the date of the test it was not on the CPC calendar--  so no
doubt it was quickly arranged and news of it only got out via internet and
word-of-mouth. The test must have been arranged by the NRC, as several
reporters  noted the message about the NRC that I mention above.

Since there was no published pre-notification of the test, there is no
written record of the test's parameters. My notes do say that the test was
scheduled from 0200 to 0400 ELT, but I made no notes on power. I would suspect
that they were running on 50kw ND and not their directional 10kw night
facilities that directs their signal NNW/SSE. It is also possible that they
were running at their CH power of 36kw which first was licensed around this
time..

In DXN 66-11 (12/14/98) and 66-12 (12/21/98) the following East  of
Mississippi DX'ers report hearing this test: Greg Myers VA and Gerry  Bishop FL
(also Ray Arruda MA and Steve Kennedy PA report this as a  tentative). The
following DX'ers West of Mississippi  report hearing it: Bob Karchevski CA, Pete
Taylor WA, Rocky Robello UT,  Frank Aden ID and Patrick Griffith CO,

Does anyone else remember hearing this test?
73     Bill Dvorak     Madison  WI

In a message dated 2/13/2012 7:06:13 A.M. Central Standard Time,