[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, October 4-7, 2011

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, October 4-7, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

** MEXICO. Pre-sunrise MW DX Oct 4, UT:

630, Oct 4 at 1158 UT, discussion of dólares/pesos exchange rates, continued conversation past 1200 with no ID. Probably XEFB Monterrey NL with news format; some other DXers are wondering what else makes it north of border on 630

700, Oct 4 at 1158 UT, ``Stéreo Éxitos`` heard as tuned by, probably multi-station mention, and would have to research which of all the 700s has such a sibling on FM

900, Oct 4 at 1211 UT, ads mentioning ``Carretera a Álvaro Obregón``, i.e. Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, Chihuahua, which was also mentioned in ``cerca de la glorieta Cuauhtémoc``; Cantú:
900 XEDT La Reina Cd. Cuauhtemoc, Chih. 5,000 1,500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Pre/sunrise MW DX Oct 5, UT:

660, Oct 5 at 1218 UT, talking about a fiesta, mentions Meoqui; 1222 phoner about collecting water in the fog on the fifth of October; 6:23 timecheck ``en Radio 6-60``, keeps mentioning Mercado Juárez, also Mercado Morelos; 1226 ad, ``aquí en Delicias``. Meoqui is a neighboring town. Cantú shows:
660 XEACB Radio 660, La Tremenda Cd. Delicias, Chih. 3,000 1,000

710, Oct 5 at 1209 UT, local news by M&W alternating, about armed robbery of a jewelry store owned by the family of the local diputado, got away with 75 kilopesos of loot, yesterday at 10:07 in Cuauhtémoc, 6:11 timecheck. I think they were blaming the Beta gang if not Zeta:
710 XEDP La Ranchera Cd. Cuauhtemoc, Chih. 7,000 100
This is the dominant 710 station most mornings, and you`d never know KGNC exists till later. I`ve heard it many times, but more interested in catching programming and more local clues which might help others, than dismissing it as a relog, as I am not counting Mexican or any other totals, anyway.

780, Oct 5 at 1206 UT, Ciudad Victoria mentioned in null of KSPI; then at 1207 KSPI audio drops off, but the XE has faded. Presumably:
780 XESFT La Triple T San Fernando, Tamps. 5,000 1,000
As C.V. is the state capital of Tamaulipas, and San Fernando is halfway to the border from there, altho there is another Tamaulipan on 780 in Tampico.

790, Oct 5 at 1229 UT, gobierno federal, Hora Nacional PSAs, 1230 full ID for R. Fórmula, 5-letter call, 10,000 watts. (No sign of KNST Tucson which was inbooming here 24 hours and 6 minutes earlier.) Cantú shows two Fórmulas on 790, one a 250-watter in Guadalajara, unlikely, and the other:
790 XENT Radio Fórmula + FM 97.5 La Paz, B.C.S. 10,000 750
The uncopied 5-letter call probably applied to their FM. At first I feared they were just relaying XERFR 970 DF, but it`s 50 kW.

800, Oct 5 around 1200, again getting extremely distorted talk modulation; little chance of understanding a word of it. DF for SSW [or NNE], as best I can tell vs KQCV OKC to the SSE, still suspect:
800 XEDD La Tremenda Montemorelos, N.L. 10,000 2,500
Listeners in S Tejas should be able to hear this all day and confirm whether it`s the culprit.

850, Oct 5 at 1157 UT, non-IBOC noise, in null of KOA. Must be open studio-transmitter link. Note: turn on STL first, then main transmitter. 1200 noise stops, SAH continues with KOA, 1201 choral NA; 1204 sign-on by Chihuahua station, ``Renacimiento`` which is reborn for another day:
850 XEM Radio Renacimiento Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Pre-sunrise MW DX Oct 6, UT:

560, Oct 6 at 1208 UT, Casas Luxor sponsors time & temp, in Monclova, XE- ID, ``Son Noticias, La ---``, starting newscast with named W&M:
560 XEGIK La Acerera Monclova, Coah. 1,400 250
O yes, heard this before and speculated name means ``steel mill``. Google says ``steelmaker`` with the definite article, but feminine?? Maybe it refers to la ciudad being this rather than individual workers. Of course one hopes that women are indeed among them.

580, Oct 6 at 1148 UT, ad for Culebra Restaurant in San Antonio, ``la tienda de la raza``. Since there`s only a non-Spanish Texan on 580 in Lubbock, I can only assume that border outlet per Cantú
580 XEMU La Rancherita del Aire Piedras Negras, Coah. 5,000    2,500
has listeners in SATEX, and/or frequent travellers to there on US 57

620, Oct 6 at 1149 UT, ID for ``B-U, La Norteñita``:
620 XEBU La Norteñita Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 1,000

650, Oct 6 at 1204 UT, choral NA ends, XETNT ID with FM 106.5:
650 XETNT Radio 65 + FM 106.5 Los Mochis, Sin. 5,000 1,000
Not the dominant signal it used to have; too early now for SRS boost?

760, Oct 6 at 1152 UT, acknowledging morning show staff, ID for ABC Radio, 50,000 watts, Paseo de la Reforma; XEABC, 760 AM
760 XEABC ABC Radio México, DF 70,000 10,000
So Cantú gives it 20 kW more

760, Oct 6 at 1202 UT, NA and ID from Antena 760, Chihuahua Capital:
760 XEES Antena 760 Chihuahua, Chih. 10,000 1,000

900, Oct 6 at 1159 UT, XEW chimes, phone numbers ``en la cabina``, mixing with some other SS stations this early:
900 XEW W Radio + FM 96.9 México, DF 250,000 250,000

I also heard Monterrey and Veracruz mentioned, where there are also 900 stations, Vcz being an XEW relay, but unsure whence

900, Oct 6 at 1228 UT, ending `Mundo del Trabajo` about mujeres empresarias, programa sindical (union-sponsored), 1229 R. Vida ID, 6:29 timecheck, saludos. I`ve logged this slogan before such as Sept 21, but none listed on 900 by Cantú and assume most likely is:
900 XEDT La Reina Cd. Cuauhtémoc, Chih. 5,000 1,500
UT-6 timecheck rules out all other listed Mexicans on 900
(Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Pre-sunrise MWDX Oct 7, UT: These DX sessions are done with the DX-398 handheld for quick nulling and peaking, internal antenna only on AC inside. Reference: http://www.mexicoradiotv.com/frec_am.htm

580, Oct 7 at 1203 UT, talking about rain along highway 57 to San Antonio; correlates with yesterday`s log of San Antonio ads on:
580 XEMU La Rancherita del Aire Piedras Negras, Coah. 5,000 2,500

630, Oct 7 at 1156 UT, promo for flu shots courtesy Grupo Radio México, noticias 6-30 AM, 1157 XEFB program promo:
630 XEFB FB La Estación Que Da Las Noticias Monterrey NL 10,000 10,000

660, Oct 7 at 1211 UT, ``Radio 6-60, La Tremenda, Número Uno`` IDs, 6:11 timecheck, ads:
660 XEACB Radio 660, La Tremenda Cd. Delicias, Chih. 3,000 1,000

670, Oct 7 at 1203 UT, mentions Grupo Radio México, 1205 mañanitas. Poor signal. I am trying, so far unsuccessfully, to hear the slogan Richard Allen reported from XETOR, ``La Voz Consuelo``. Anyhow it was XETOR:
670 XETOR Radio Ranchito Torreon, Coah. 1,000 250
This version of Cantú lists by state also shows Grupo affiliation:
http://www.radiotvmexico.net/contenido.php?edo_id=7&seccion=estacionesEdo

800, Oct 7 at 1214, full ID from ``XEZR, La Traviesa`` in Spanish only, amid CCI from the very distorted talker (XEDD?) and KQCV OKC:
800 XEZR La Traviesa Zaragoza, Coah. 2,000 2,000

Wayne Heinen in CO says he also heard an English ID from XEZR at 0401 UT Sept 24. My Random House dixionary says traviesa means sleeping car (as in a train), rafter as in architecture, and the distance between two points, none of which make much sense for a radio station. Instead we have to check the masculine travieso: transverse, crosswise, mischievous, willful, debauched, clever, subtle, ever-moving (of streams, etc.). Take your pick; I wonder which sense was intended. Do they use an English slogan in ID? Wayne also heard ``Channel 80``

1000, Oct 7 at 1218 UT, weather, 6:19 TC, fast SAH with KTOK OKC (which I have a hard time nulling, unlike sharp nulls on WKY 930 --- maybe because WKY is more groundwave being on N side of OKC while KTOK is further on the S side?). Keeps referring to ``nuestra ciudad`` which is NOT helpful, but we assume it is
1000 XEFV La Rancherita Cd. Juárez, Chih. 1,000 D
altho there are three other XEs in the UT-6 zone, in Chih, Sin.

1100, Oct 7 at 1224 UT, heavy beat music with drums, 1228 5:28 TC, full ID but tough copy of details, XE–AF[?], mil watts, address and phones, ``24 horas contigo``, Grupo Rasa[?[ Comunicaciones, www site, also plugs availability on Canal 69(?) in New York. So it`s:
1100 XENAS Unica + FM 96.1 Navojoa, Son. 1,000 500
(There is one other UT-7 in BCS but call XEBAC does not match.)

Per a Cantú link to http://www.larsavision.tv/ it`s Grupo Larsa, more about music TV than radio, on 39.3 in NY. Has linx to listen to their radio stations, mostly FM and not including this one as it`s just simulcasting 96.1. Hmm, 96.1 is not among the logos either. Anyhow
(Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) V. also UNIDENTIFIED 1410

** U S A. 790, Oct 4 at 1221 something with Fox News, VG signal really at a sunrise peak here (1229); after some national ads, ID at 1224 as KNST, News-talk, Tucson AZ. I was drawn to check 790 after hearing IBOC noise on 780 and 800, no doubt from this, unlisted as such in 2011 NRC AM Log. Nor here:
http://topazdesigns.com/iboc/station-list.html

Hard to believe it`s not 5 kW day power, altho soon fades down. It`s only 5:24 AM MST. Here`s the FCC notice about KNST`s PSRA; all of these seem to be as of 2007y:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=5188
which implies starting in October, KNST can run 500 watts PSRA starting at 6 am ``Advanced time``, even tho time is NOT advanced in AZ! So Arizonans get to start PSRAs at 5 am local unlike any other state? Pre-sunrise authority was supposed to be based on 6 am local clock time, whatever it is. Tucson official October sunrise is not until 1330 UT. KNST day and night patterns are about the same, with broad lobes toward east and nulls, but not sharp ones, toward KABC. And what`s the point of a PSRA for KNST? Night power is 500 watts too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 870, tnx to Neil Kazaross in IL and Håkan Sundman in Helsinki for pointing out that KLSQ Whitney (Las Vegas) NV is ``Radio Variedades``, the slogan I heard Sept 29 at 1213 mixing with XETAR in Chihuahua, which I assumed to be KFJZ Fort Worth:

``Hi, You mention a Spanish station on 870 with the slogan Radio Variedades and suspect KFJZ in Fort Worth TX. For what it’s worth, KLSQ Whitney NV is also using the slogan "Radio Variedades", see http://radiovariedades870.univision.com/
73 (Håkan Sundman, Helsinki, DX LISTENING DIGEST)``

``This is KLSQ from a Las Vegas suburb. 73 KAZ (Neil Kazaross, IL, IRCA et al. via DXLD)``

Well, that`s better! I would still like to confirm that KFJZ is NOT using that slogan. Maybe I can pull it in daytime, if not hear from a Metroplexer. Googling around, I don`t get hits on 870 there but old hits on KRVA-1600, as Radio Variedades (so that`s where the call came from, altho now it is Vietnamese. How do you say Variedades in Vietnamese? Gióng. But KRVA can now denote Radio-Vietnam-America.) NRC-AM Log 2011 does not have KLSQ as Radio Variedades either, but Google agrees it is.

KFJZ has a PSRA of 500 watts, and in Sept should have stepped up to full day power of 1000 watts at 1215 UT (October: 1230). Direxional with a broad pattern but null toward WWL.

KLSQ is 24 hours with night power 430 watts. Night pattern has major lobe to NW, plus little lobes with one toward me and some nulls with one toward WWL:
http://transition.fcc.gov/ftp/Bureaus/MB/Databases/AM_DA_patterns/666479-79198.pdf

So I try again Oct 4 around same time, 1206 UT and hear CCI to XETAR from a station mentioning 103.7 in both Spanish and English. That does not fit for KFJZ where KVIL 103.7 is separately owned; and there is no 103.7, not even a translator, anywhere in Nevada. Nor in New Orleans, as WWL was still audible on 870 at 1208. At 1220 I was still getting a fast SAH, I believe between WWL and XETAR. WWL will only become a greater problem as sun rises later and later (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 870, re my previous catch of R. Variedades identified as KLSQ Nevada rather than KFJZ Texas:

Re: KLSQ http://radiovariedades870.univision.com/ They've been using the R. Variedades slogan for at least a couple of years. I can get them here in IL on great sunset skip nights since the west BOGs null WWL very well. I've also had them a couple times at night, perhaps when they've had a glitch and not switched to night power? 73 KAZ
KFJZ website is http://www.radiofortaleza.net/
(Neil Kazaross, Barrington IL, ABDX via DXLD)

OK, I concede, must have had KLSQ, tnx. And I can`t get KFJZ, R. Fortaleza on daytime groundwave; too weak and too far. Maybe around sunset, WWL permitting. I still haven`t heard KLSQ again at similar sunrise times (Glenn Hauser, Enid, Oct 6, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 890, Oct 4 at 1209 UT, Spanish preaching in null of KTLR OKC; 1210 mentions San Antonio, Plainview. Presumably KVOZ in Del Mar Hills (McAllen, RGV) TX, which isn`t that far away from the direxion of OKC. In Oct KVOZ should still be on 1 kW night pattern until 1230 UT with null toward WLS and not much toward me either, not yet 10 kW ND day (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. Re yesterday`s log: ``890, Oct 4 at 1209 UT, Spanish preaching in null of KTLR OKC; 1210 mentions San Antonio, Plainview. Presumably KVOZ in Del Mar Hills (McAllen, RGV) TX, which isn`t that far away from the direxion of OKC. In Oct KVOZ should still be on 1 kW night pattern until 1230 UT with null toward WLS and not much toward me either, not yet 10 kW ND day (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)``

KVOZ 890 has been suspected of commonly running day power at night for a decade. 73 KAZ (Neil Kazaross, Barrington IL, ABDX via DXLD)

Del Mar Hills, TX is actually nearer to Laredo, if that makes more sense (David R. Block, primetimesw yg via DXLD)

Yes, it might as well have been licensed to Laredo; why bother with DMH, which isn`t even in the Rand McNally atlas? I was going by the only address listed for KVOZ in the NRC AM Log, which is McAllen, but it`s the HQ of Cadena Cristiana based there. Laredo is still a long way from Plainview; I guess they have even more affiliates up there. Also heard it briefly Oct 5 with more references to Texas towns. Why doesn`t KTLR if not WLS object? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1410, Oct 7 at 1242 UT, after sunrise I venture into the upper regionals as the lower MF channels are outfading, and find some Spanish here, looping E/W briefly surpassing KQAM Wichita N/S. Searching the 2011-2012 NRC AM Log for SS stations near and westward, I find only two possibilities other than Mexicans, KHCH Huntsville TX, R. Amistad, religious for Houston, but it`s a bit late for that and not E-W; and a longer shot, KCAL Redlands CA, Radio Tricolor, La Mexicanísima, address in San Bernardino (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)