Re: [IRCA] TP for 26 Sep 2011: Comparisons with Masset

Re: [IRCA] TP for 26 Sep 2011: Comparisons with Masset

I just returned from a 6 day jaunt to my DX cottage on Haida Gwaii (Queen
Charlotte Islands), off the north-west coast of BC. I read with interest
Bruce's comments, this morning.  On the contrary,  I was most impressed with
the TP reception this morning, listening between 12:55 and about 15:00 UTC
before pulling down everything for the flight home.  The Chinese were
particularly strong today, as were the Russians.  Most of the MW band had
one or more TPs present, often at armchair level.  A few highlights this
morning, and observations:  Russian LW:  180 was not heard at all this week.
 Off the air for repairs, or permanently?  864.916  heard in Chinese the
past couple of days.  Thanks to Mauno Ritola telling me that this is Binzhou
PBS News Channel.  PAL needs to reflect this.  1080 Anchorage is back on the
air.  I missed the call letters, but did hear the ID as, "The new 1080, The
Ticket" at 14:22 today.  Later on, they were knocked off by Asian stations.
 This time of the year is very interesting in Masset, as it's fun to watch
virtually the whole of North America disappear to be replaced by 9 kHz
spaced TP stations from top to bottom, and often at armchair levels.
 Looking at my notes, most frequencies rated "8 to 9+" levels.  Wow!  No DU
activity today, although I did hear a modest amount of DU activity in days
past.  Yesterday, I also had some very nice Filipino copy on 1314,
presumably DWXI, way over the Japanese or Korean stations.  I noted that the
NHK2 network signed off each day for the past 6 days at 14:40 UTC.  I
collected 219 GB of excellent Perseus SDR files to have fun with.
     No signs of TA activity at all during the past week, presumably owing
to the solar activity.  This compares to reasonable TA activity a year ago
at this time, and fabulous TA activity during the first DXpedition to Masset
4 years ago,all at the same time of September.  I was hoping to get out to
Rose Spit for a DC only overnight session, but family commitments prevented
this from occurring.  Rose Spit is particularly good for DU DX.  Oh well,
perhaps during my next visit in a few months.     73s,.......Walt