[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, September 5-9, 2011

[IRCA] MW DX from Enid OK, September 5-9, 2011

All times and dates strictly UT. MW log editors are welcome to excerpt items, reformat and change to favorite timezone if necessary. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only; some caradio as specified; above 2 MHz on FRG-7 with 110-foot east-west longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with extensive news from many
other individuals and publications in DX LISTENING DIGEST:

** MEXICO. Sunrise DX Sept 5; skipping repeats of several recently logged signals on 610, 650, 770:

540, Sept 5 at 1203 Mexican NA, and ID as XETX, ``La Ranchera de [something], 5000 watts, Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chihuahua, Grupo G-M Radio``, then into quick spoken prayer with familiar pronoun tú, and seeming hymn. Cantú shows lower power:
540 XETX La Ranchera de Paquimé Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chih. 1,000 250
5 kW or 1 kW, a nice catch, I think as I continue to be amazed that XEWA SLP is not a problem on 540 with its listed 150 kW day and night; I think that must really be QRP. [but logged later, earlier, below]

710, Sept 5 at 1206, ``Noticias 7-10``, W&M, starting with efemérides items, not exactly news. I assume, but am not positive this was a program on ``XEDP, La Ranchera de Cuauhtémoc`` which I had heard but not relogged with equally good signal 4 minutes earlier, full ID claiming 7,500 watts

830, Sept 5 at 1201, `La Grande de Sinaloa``, 6:02 time, noticias:
830 XEVQ La Grande de Sinaloa Culiacán, Sin. 5,000 1,000

920, Sept 5 at 1159, ID mentions 104.1 y 920, ``Nueva Nueva``, so:
920 XECQ La Nueva Ranchera + FM 104.1 Culiacán, Sin. 5,000 500

1040, Sept 5 at 1218, ``La Once, número uno, la primera`` also mentions 90.1 FM. I think I finally get it, Once = two firsts, 1 and 1 as in the slogan!
1040 XEGYS La Primera + FM 90.1 Guaymas, Son. 5,000 250
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise DX Sept 6, UT:

980, Sept 6 at 1208, IMER mentioned, so I thought it must be the only IMER station on 980, XEFQ in Cananea, Sonora, as recently logged; quite dominating frequency next few minutes, and I don`t think two stations were overlapping, but after opening ``Servicio Nacional de Noticias``, gave timecheck for 7:09 while it`s 5:09 in Sonora.

Network feed from DF? Locutor Mario Campos, informally previewing stories to be covered. Then mentions ``Estéreo Vida, 93 FM``, gave two 8-digit phone numbers, and an 800 number, Twitter. 1212 over to YL with national weather summary, timecheck as 7:13. 1214 losing out to KMBZ. Now it looks like I was getting this per Cantú:
980 XETU Estereo Vida + FM 99.3 Tampico, Tamps. 10,000 1,000
so would they carry news from government`s IMER? Or maybe just a PSA.

1000, Sept 6 at 1204, NA ends and ID as ``La Rancherita``, Ciudad Juárez, so per Cantú this is:
1000 XEFV La Rancherita Cd. Juárez, Chih. 1,000 D
For some time I have been hearing Mexican under KTOK, so glad to pull this ID. There are four other possibilities in N/W Mexico. KTOK is hard to null; other OKC groundwavers have sharper nulls such as 930 and 890, why?

1180, Sept 6 at 1200 ID mentioned ``Romántica`` and only one listed in Cantú, also most likely target area is:
1180 XEDCH La Romántica Cd. Delicias, Chih. 5,000 1,500
(Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Sept 7; Heard NA on numerous frequencies around 1200 UT, but only caught one definite ID. It`s always a cat-and-mouse game, as they often fade out before the NA is finished, and you never know whether it will be a short, or long version with the same melody repeated over and over until abrupt ending.

640, Sept 7 at 1201 after NA, ID as XEJUA, 5000 watts, Milenio, Ciudad Juárez, and other sign-on data such as street address. Soon faded and I was hearing KFI with not much signal yet from nulled nearby WWLS OK.
Cantú shows:
``640 XEJUA Milenio TV (audio del canal) Cd. Juárez, Chih. 5,000 D``
So he says it`s carrying soundtrack of this TV channel now! As recently as WRTH 2011, it was ``Radio Recuerdo, Canal 640``

Milenio is mainly a newspaper, but website http://www.milenio.com includes live audio and video. I`ve not heard of it being TV on the air; maybe just pay cable as implied in their contact info listing (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sunrise MW DX Sept 8 (our LSR now 1208 UT):

540, Sept 8 at 1156 UT mentions ``radio noticias . . . aquí en San Luis Potosí``, so XEWA is originating locally; now atop another Mexican with music.

560, Sept 8 at 1158 UT mentions Coahuila and Torreón, but no station there, not enough to go on but nearest per Cantú is:
560 XEGIK La Acerera Monclova, Coah. 1,400 250 - acerera = steel mill?

660, Sept 8 at 1159 UT, ``aquí en Delicias``, local events including a baile on domingo. Cantú:
660 XEACB Radio 660, La Tremenda Cd. Delicias, Chih. 3,000 1,000

680, Sept 8 at 1202 UT, timecheck as 6:02, noticias. Of the nine Mexicans on 680, only this one is in the UT-6 = CST/MDT zone:
680 XEFO Éxtasis Digital Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 250
Or: it could be 500-watt SS KWKA Clovis NM, per NRC AM Log 2011-2012

790, Sept 8 at 1200 sharp, Mexican NA starts, initially good. Turns out to be long choral version until 1204, by which time I can`t pull an ID thru the QRM.

1030, Sept 8 at 1206 YL with language lesson apparently about the word curículo; then OM plugs multiple platforms, Twitter, Skype, has listeners as far as Washington State in the ``Unión Americana``, cable a través de Time-Warner/Comcast; this show is until 10 am ``también en televisión``. http://www.radioformula.com.mx also has programs on demand. Per Cantú the only Fórmula on 1030 is:
1030 XEYC Radio Fórmula Cd. Juárez, Chih. 5,000 500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Sept 9 I slept an hour later than usual, assuaging my deprivation, and also missing sunrise DX around 1200; tsk (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 990, Sept 5 at 1212, talk in English about the history of Fort Osage, dominating frequency at the moment, certainly not SS KFCD in TX. There is no 990 in OK, but the closest to Osage country is KRMO in Cassville, SW Missouri. Supposedly has `Hot Country Music` until 1245 weekdays, but probably a brief feature:
http://www.krmo.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=66
Fort Osage is/was axually in NW Missouri near Independence where there are no 990s (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060, Sept 6 at 1201, Spanish ID for KIJN, Farwell, Tejas. Cf my previous report, Wayne Heinen, editor of the new NRC AM Log, 2011-2012, just out (see
http://www.nrcdxas.org/catalog/books/index1.html
for ordering info; highly recommended!)
points out that pre-sunrise and post-sunset authorizations are not found via FCC AM Query pages, but instead ``via FCC`s CDBS site. Using the CDBS station search:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/pubacc/prod/sta_sear.htm
Go to Details on the station`s search form. Then View Correspondence Folder. This link will show the PSRA and PSSA documents for the station if any exist."

If you follow these, you get a pdf that lists KIJN`s PSRA at:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=3821
which shows they may use up to 3.0 watts starting at 6 am CDT yearound, except in June a hefty 6.0 watts (since sunrises are earliest, and the ``limiting station``, XEEP can tolerate ``twice`` as much QRM!). KIJN is also very fortunate to be just barely in the CDT zone, as if licensed to Texico NM just across the border they could not sign on their ``three watts`` until 1200 UT summer/1300 UT winter.

KIJN also has a PSSA at
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=1857
showing they may also use 3.0 watts for two hours after official sunset yearound, which in Sept means 0100-0300 UT. My last log was just after 0300, but maybe they were about to sign off. Currently they should not be on the air even with 3 watts between 0300 and 1100 UT, but Wayne says, ``KIJN has been running all-night for quite a while with no authorization that I can find.``

The fact remains that when I hear them in the PSRA or PSSA periods, they can`t possibly be running only three watts. I have read that it`s difficult-to-impossible to power down many transmitters to that level even if they wanted to, so it could be the full 10 kW, or anywhere between that and some reasonably audible lower power at this distance. A longer discussion of this, with the complete PSRA/PSSA tables for KIJN will be in DXLD 11-36 (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510+, Sept 6 at 1224, sports talk with het from off-frequency KCTE Independence MO. I need to recheck in the nightmiddle whether this daytimer is still on the air then as they had been for a week (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1510, Sept 7 at 0522 check, no het, so daytimer KCTE Independence MO has quit broadcasting at night; someone else had sports talk amid CCI. Some 6.5 hours later, the wavering het on 1510.8 or so was back, affirming that KCTE is still off-frequency, in the daytime at least (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, Sept 8 at 0543, an ESPN station, producing heavy CCI and a fast SAH with KOKC, which ought to be in the clear here, a 50 kW scarcely 100 km away; // 1500 KSTP. My patience does not allow me to wait for ID, but there have been numerous reports of this as KOLM, Rochester MN, tnx to Bruce Winkelman in Tulsa and Richard N Allen near Billings OK, where it also QRMs our KOKC. Unlike most of my Mexicans, this was logged on the FRG-7 with same E-W longwire as for SW, tuning past the bottom end of the SW bands.

KOLM is supposed to run 10 kW day, 800 watts night, yeah, right, furthermore with a critical-hours null at 215 degrees toward us and OKC, everything going NNE at night, and non-direxional daytime; obviously day = night for KOLM (Glenn Hauser, Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1610, Sept 6 at 0346, low-level CCI but brief surge of one signal with gospel huxter in English, not // 5935, so not Anguilla. Canadian? This ought to be a prime DX frequency with no US stations except TIS on it, but difficult here tnx to IBOC from KATZ-1600 St Louis; Hallelujah! I still haven`t logged XEUACH (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)