Re: [IRCA] New logbook started and new antennas tested

Re: [IRCA] New logbook started and new antennas tested

On 09/03/2011 12:32 PM, Tim Hills wrote:

One is a dual spiral, 10 turns total and 30" diameter in 2 layers 1"
apart with varactor tuning and a single turn pickup loop.

I'd be interested in seeing a photo of that loop, and a schematic as to your connections.

I've built a lot of loops over the years and have some ideas that you might find interesting.

I built a lot of spiral and solenoidal loops, as well as ferrite loops. The air-core loops always outperformed the ferrite loops. One of the things that I found important as far as loop pattern and null depth is symmetry, something yo cannot get right with a spiral loop because the windings are different diameters. Traditional split-stator air dielectric tuning capacitors always gave me a higher Q than varactors did. And this is important as you referred to off-channel rejection. With the frame of the split-stator capacitor connected to the loop center-tap I was able to get some good pattern symmetry and good null depth.

I either used a center-tapped secondary winding, or later on did away with the secondary winding entirely and used a high-impedance FET preamp across the primary that did the preamplification and conversion to unbalanced low-impedance output.

Rick Kunath