[IRCA] DXing on the Oregon Coast

DXing along the OR coast, you see dramatic changes as you go from
location to location. First, if you have high mountains directly behind
you to the East, you get more blockage from mainland stations. The
Pacific station seem stronger and much less QRM. Seaside for instance
has higher mountains behind the city than North (where I live now), so
often I get more QRM from stations East of me here, 8 miles North of
Seaside, than I did when I lived in Seaside. But for DXing domestics,
East of me, Seaside is poorer.  In other words, there is no perfect
place. hi.  Also TAs are better here, even with the hills NE of me. The
mountains NE of Seaside really block TAs and also Canadians are weaker
there, but CA stations are stronger. As you go South towards Cannon
Beach and Manzanita, you will notice the mountains are higher and
sometimes quite steep directly behind your location and that helps will
TP DX, especially when cx are excellent. The beauty of living at the
coast is that a DXer can be at the dials morning after morning as I did
throughout the 80s & 90s. It gets addictive, as you you wonder if the
next morning will be better than the last.  I could have made a lot more
money living in a city, but in my case I have no regrets as DXing and
QSLing has been a wonderful part of my life.

73,

Patrick