Re: [IRCA] 30 years or more of skywave Dxing (55 years of radio)

Re: [IRCA] 30 years or more of skywave Dxing (55 years of radio)

                    Here is my am dxing history.

I first started dxing the am band back in 1965 at the age of 9.  I had been
familiar with shortwave listening as I had an uncle who introduced me to
that side of the radio hobby previously.  I remember at a very young age
checking out all the cool stuff in his radio room.  Some of the equipment
was bigger than I was.

Anyway going back to bcb dx, in 1965 my grandmother had a radio dating back
to the 30's or 40's.  I don't remember the make but it had absolutely
fantastic audio.  It was built in a wooden cabinet with a large speaker that
took up most of the bottom part of the cabinet.  It was a tube rig and took
time to warm up.  On that machine I heard all the standard powerhouse
stations after the sun set.

Some of the highlights over the years were hearing my first Caribbean
stations, Radio Belize on 834, Caribbean Beacon on 1610, ZNS on 810 and
1540, Radio Sutatensa in Columbia on 810, Radio Americas on 1160 as well as
the Cubans, PJB plus the usual domestics including KSL and KFI.

I didn't hear my first tas until the mid 80's when I heard Tirana on 1395.
It took me a decade more till I heard another ta.  It was the powerhouse out
of Norway on 1314.  All this was done from locations in New Jersey with
stock equipment.

Along the way I got my amateur license in 1978.  I hold the call N2AAM.

My interest in radio led me to a career in broadcasting and broadcast
station ownership.

I joined the NRC back in the 90's.  In retrospect I should have done it much
earlier in my dx career but it was just one of those things.

I have been active in various aspects of radio since the 60's and it still
hasn't lost it's shine and excitement.  Radio is still a box of magic.

Dave Marthouse
dmarthouse@xxxxxxxxx