[IRCA] Memories, Part II

   Bob Foxworth's mention of my DX reports from Germany in 1957-58 and Pete Taylor's mention of his early days in the hobby remind me of the great value of friendships built up by membership in DX clubs. At about the same time I was in Germany, Pete was in the Coast Guard stationed out of Hawaii, plying the South Pacific, and he, too, reported his DX catches to Fred Van Voorhees' International DX column. Also, at the same time, Jack Hathaway, in the Air Force, was on duty at the U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa, Honduras, and reported his DX catches as well.
   When I came out of the Army in 1958, I had followed my family from Oregon to the Texas Panhandle, where my father became the first dean of the new School of Business at West Texas State. Several new members in Amarillo joined the NRC in 1958, including John Tudenham, who has been a friend for life, and Jack Hathaway's next Air Force assignment was ... Amarillo Air Force Base. Jack had taken some graduate college work while in the Air Force and was a couple of credit hours and a dissertation away from his Masters Degree. I introduced Jack to my father, who hooked Jack up into a course that would fulfill those requirements. With the Masters, Jack was able to obtain a post-service job in the registrar's office at the University of Illinois-Champaign-Urbana ... and from 1970, when I took a radio job at WMIX in Mt. Vernon, Illinois, Jack and I were two hours' drive away from periodic visits. Earlier, late 1966, the aforementioned Pete Taylor was moving from Kaiser Broadcasting!
 's landmark beautiful music station, KFOG in San Francisco, to Boston, where Kaiser (with 10-percent ownership by the Boston Globe, had purchased WXHR-AM, FM & TV from Harvey Radio Labs. I was at KILT Houston at the time, and Pete offered me the opportunity to move to Cambridge to help build WXHR-AM into WCAS, a heavily local news operation, with three daily newsblocks and two three-hour locally-oriented telephone talk shows.  WXHR-FM became WJIB, another legendary beautiful music station, and WXHR-TV became WKBG-56. It was fun to reminisce about our experiences together when Pete attended the NRC convention in D-FW in 2003.
   I first met Foxworth when Randy Kane and I took the train from Boston to NYC and the subway to Brooklyn for one of Ernie Cooper's famous Thanksgiving weekend get-togethers. Randy and I stopped at WCBS where Bob had a night engineering job ... a couple of photos I took on that 1967 excursion can be found on the NRC website. Foxy would visit us in Watertown, Mass., from time to time, back when the BAD Guys (the Boston Area DX'ers) published DX News.
   The neat thing about it -- we're still making memories.

John Callarman, KA9SPA, Family Genealogist, Retired Newspaper Editor, DX-oyente, Krum TX (AKA Qal R. Mann, Krumudgeon)