Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] 30 years of skywave DXing

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] 30 years of skywave DXing

Rick,

Thanks for bringing back those great memories of the "glory days" of DX'ing the
AM band!

I had a similar experience with a clock radio picking up "exotic" DX.  It was
mid-October in 1975 and I was in my first full semester of seminary in Fort
Worth, TX.  Having moved there from Shreveport, LA, I wasn't yet familiar with
all of the radio stations in that part of Texas.  I thought I had my Zenith
clock radio set so that when I woke up from my nap, I could listen to WFAA-570.

Well, when the alarm sounded and the radio came on, it wasn't WFAA.  I listened
on and heard the "KFI 640" station ID.  Talk about surprised!  I was listening
to KFI Los Angeles on my little Zenith clock radio - and the signal was as clear
as a bell!!

I grabbed a sheet of paper and a pencil, wrote down some log details, and sent a
reception report.  I received a KFI QSL card about a month later, signed by
Bernie Koval, the Chief Engineer.  I still have the QSL card in my files.

That reception would probably never happen today ... sigh!

Thanks & 73,

Stephen H. Ponder, N5WBI
Houston, Texas, USA - EL29kn
E-Mail: stephen_ponder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx