Re: [IRCA] Ferrite Sleeve Loop (FSL)

Hello All,

Like Steve has summarized, there has been quite a bit of FSL
experimentation in the Ultralightdx Yahoo group, including multiple
models made by Steve, Kevin Schanilec, and me.

Although we all see the potential in the FSL design (especially in the
antenna's unique ability to provide high-gain signal boosts from a very
compact package), the FSL gets its performance edge from a large
concentration of ferrite bars, which are arranged in a cylindrical
sleeve-- with the associated side effects of relatively heavy weight,
and heavy expenditure of $$$. The most effective FSL's are the ones
with the most ferrite rods or bars in the cylindrical sleeve, and these
ferrite components do not come cheaply. The FSL experimenters in the
Ultralight group have attempted to cut costs by ordering ferrite rods
and bars from the Eastern European sellers of Russian surplus
components on eBay, but we have all been less trhan satisfied with the
results.

Despite all the challenges, the FSL's that we have constructed have
worked quite well in providing high gain inductive-coupling boosts to
Ultralight radios on both LW and MW frequencies, and Steve has been
especially successful in using his largest FSL antenna in actual
NDB-chasing with his PL-380 on the Longwave band (the latest DXing
craze in the Ultralight Radio group). If and when we are successful in
constructing larger-sized FSL's we will be happy to share the
experimental results with everyone.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)