[IRCA] R8 vs SPR4

Hi everyone,

As many of you know I have sent my R8 back to Drake for repairs. The
sensitivity has been dropping. At first I thought it may just be the S
Meter as Drake has had issues with S Meter problems on older receivers.
Also the sensitivity has been dropping very very slowy through the
years.  But the sensitivity at least in the MW band has been dropping
more of late. I sent the R8 out on Friday. Anyway, I hooked up the SPR4
and have been using it a lot. The Palstar MW 550P presellector works
better with the SPR4 than the R8. The R8, it mainly raised to S Meter,
which points to the fact that the sensitivity on the R8 may have been
going for sometime. The R8 just did not have a "punch" it had even going
back 5 years. I am using the SPR4 and I have noticed several stations
listenable during the day that I used to get listenable during the day
going back 10 years. I blamed it on conditions and the antennas. Well, I
was wrong. It apparently is the lower sensitivity on the R8. One station
was KWBD 1110 Oak Harbor WA (500w). That station used to be heard fair
during the day here. Not great, but listenable off the NW EWE. The past
few years, it has been a mumble and has gotten worse during the day.
Since Friday, I have checked and KWBD is back listenable all day on the
SPR4. How long the R8 has had issues, I am not sure. But looking back to
comparing DX from the guys at Grayland, 50 miles North when I have been
at the dials, I just have not heard what I used to hear. I should have
done a comparison between the two receivers before, but I hadn't. I did
notice a couple years back that the SPR4 with the crystal finters often
did a better job at the TA fare, but that was all.  I don't know off the
top of my head what the sensitivity is on the R8 compared to the SPR4
without checking the manuals, but I presume they are close. I do notice
the SPR4 gets more local noise on it than the R8 does though.
I am really looking forward in comparing the two receivers once I get
the R8 back.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin