[IRCA] Burnt River DX logs & unIDs

Well, last week was a wild and wooly ride at Burnt River ON, with some great auroral cx and decent SRS and SSS activity. It's taken some time to go through recordings and solve some of the unIDs - with thanks to a few fine folks over at WTFDA Forums who have helped ID some of these. I've posted links to current unIDs, and offer my thanks to anyone who listens. A few links also to clips posted and sinec solved.

Sat Mar 12

1540 WKVQ GA Eatonton - 0115 - DX test on AOR 7000 Plus and south wire with morse code that at times sounds like phone tones. "Radio Station" heard. At 0121 jazz guitar version of Santa Claus is coming to town, followed by full ID with postal address at 0124. At 0126 e-mail address, morse code. For second test morse code moments after 0200 followed by Christmas music on loopstick-modified Tecsun 380 ultra-light radio. Signal not as good as the AOR, but decent enough. Back on AOR at 0203 with morse code, followed by piano jazz version of Frosty the snowman. Multiple recordings. With thanks to Craig Baker CE and Jim Pogue test arranger. New.

580 WGAC GA Augusta - 0600 - TOH legal ID: "News Talk 580 WGAC Augusta." On Tecsun 380 ULR. Relog, but only heard once before (a week ago).

600 WVAR WV Richwood - 0627 - West Virginia Mountaineers in sports, another mention of WV, "it's a...on 98.1 WVAR, 96.5 WSGB, America's greatest hits." New.

1050 WMSG MD Oakland - 1903 - Calls. New.

Sun Mar 13

730 WMNA VA Gretna - 2021 - Ads for Habitat Restore at 360 Allegheny Avenue in Lynchburg, and USA Women's National Softball Team returning to Salem Memorial Ballpark June 29. New.

780 YVMN VENEZUELA Coro (Radio Coro) - 2048 - Lively pop music, Spanish talk, Radio Coro IDs, relog but great signal.

Mon Mar 14

1040 CMKT CUBA Puerto Padre (Radio Victoria) - 0000 - Radio Victoria. Recorded with music running through TOH, then very soft-spoken woman at 0001, includes mention Cuba. Mention of Victoria by same woman not recorded. Recorded again at 0008 with Cuban music, woman speaking, then music sounding like a flawed cassette tape. Recorded again (002) at 0012 with same distorted music and possible ID by woman. Recorded at 0016 with more talk and music. Recorded again at 0017 with just music sounding Cuban. All thus far on south wire thus far. Recorded on the southwest wire at 0052 with talk and also a mention of Cuba. I am told the station folks are hearing on 1040 these days is Radio Mayabeque. I've yet to determine if this replaces the other two I'm aware of. You can follow the sordid tale at www.wtfda.info/showthread.php?t=5613 - and I'd really appreciate anyone who might be able to shed further light and maybe even listening to the clips which are posted at this link.

1040 WHBO FL Pinellas Park - 0003 - On tape underneath Cuban music, a distinct "on ESPN and ESPNRadio.com" is heard at 3:37 of clip that started at 0000. Presumed, as NYC clears are fairly weak, and NJ is never heard at night. New ***IF*** this is Florida. Has anyone been hearing the NJ 1040 inland at night?

750 CMHV CUBA Trinidad - 0015 - Radio Progreso //630, 690 and later 730. Songs include a woman with a recognizably trilly voice. New.

650 HJKH COLOMBIA Santa Fé de Bogotá (RCN Antena 2) - 0028 - Presumed with Spanish talk about Latin American soccer teams, moving on to Colombian teams, including Barranquilla at 5:23 in the recording. Programming would fit with station website (antena2.com.co), which is full of soccer news. This is a relog, but a nice signal. Clip at www.wtfda.info/showthread.php?t=5615.

990 CMAP CUBA San Luís - 0059 - Radio Guamá with Cuban anthem. Also recorded at 0049 with brief snippet of Spanish talk followed by classical music on southwest wire. Again with more talk at 0056. And at 0255 with woman speaking Spanish after rhythmic music, mentioning Valencia in what may be a phone interview. Recorded again on south wire at 0300. And at 0318 with possible "La Cadena" in ID and Cuban-sounding music. New. I don't know of any other Cubans on 990Clips online at www.wtfda.info/showthread.php?t=5614 for anyone who wishes to listen. There were several Spanish stations in, so there's potential for more to be mined from this. Though I've reached the end of what I think I can do with what I recorded.

730 CMBB CUBA Nueva Gerona - 0115 - Weak but clearly //630, 690, 750 with singing and instrumental music. "Programma Nocturna, Radio Progreso" ID. New.

560 WQAM FL Miami - 0125 - Ads with 305 area code, miami.com in a web address, ad for the Country Club of Miami, and an ID that includes "South Florida's sports leader...Fort Lauderdale." Weak but solid signal, mixing with Rebelde. New.

1170 unID - 0155 - Recorded with Spanish phone caller does not strike me as the same station as the NC daytimer that has been widely heard at night (and which I hear may no longer be running at night). A Spanish ballad follows, but seems like brief bumper music. Clip at www.wtfda.info/showthread.php?t=5615

710 WAQI FL Miami (Radio Mambi) - 0204 - Spanish talk, "Radio Mambi" ID in first clip at around 1:00. QRMed by Rebelde music. Taped again at 0228 with mention of "La Grande" by woman, still mixing with Rebelde. New. Clips at www.wtfda.info/showthread.php?t=5615

790 unID - 0213 - Recorded with ad sounding like Lewis Chevrolet near a street that may be "West Bay." and maybe a "Minette" or "Milette". Then "espn.com." Again at 0316 with an ad mentioning "nine locations" and a phone number that sounds like 996-270-STOV, and a possible "sports leader" at around 2:30 in the recording and a possible ID at about 3:00 that might say "sports radio." unID clips online at www.wtfda.info/showthread.php?t=5637

1360 WMOB AL Mobile - 0239 - "We are Mobile's Christian voice..." and full legal ID. New.

620 XENK MEXICO Mexico City - 0333 - "La Capitale Federale...Mexicana...Radio Seis Vingte" in full legal ID. Great signal.

1150 WLOC KY Munfordville - 0336 - Calls and country music. Cannot be 51 night-time watts.

1460 WKAM IN Goshen - 0723 - Spanish ads mention Walgreens in Goshen, South Bend and 574 area code several times. New.

1400 WDUZ WI Green Bay - 0828 - "Sports Radio 107.5 & 1400 The Fan" followed by 444-1075 & 800-724-1075 phone numbers. Mixing with WRDB WI. New.

1060 WJKY KY Jamestown - 2012 - "Congratulations to the University of KY Wildcats" and game promo, mention of pregame show on Laker Country 104.9 WJRN, and "ESPN Radio 1060" ID. New.

Tue Mar 15

1090 WTNK TN Hartsville - 0658 - Country music, then ID: "From the heart of TN, AM 1090, WTNK." Mixing with KAAY and WBAL.

1420 WFLT MI Flint - 0823 - Black gospel music, "the best variety of gospel music is on 1420 AM WFLT. " New.

1520 WJMP OH Kent - 1858 - Mentions northeast OH and Indians, Cavs and Browns, and Akron, Kent and Ohio State, in promo for New Retro TV WAOH 29. New.

Wed Mar 16

1240 unID - 0839 - Two recordings (second at 0842) of presumed Chicago with what I am sure is Russian, talking about Bahrain. On west wire. I can send this clip to anyone who wants to listen. I don't expect local content, but once I determine the language I'll check out Chicago and other candidates. Two clips at www.wtfda.info/showthread.php?t=5640

1350 unID - 1906 - Welcome to the Music of your life, oldies 1350" after Guess Who. Very weak. Clip at www.wtfda.info/showthread.php?t=5640

950 unID - 1935 - "Your station for solid gospel music, 950 WYWY" -- What I think are WYWY calls can be heard at 1:00 of clip I've posted to www.wtfda.info/showthread.php?t=5638 - I'd be curious for further opinions on this one.

600 WKYH KY Paintsville - 1946 - Shelby Valley Wildcats (in Pike County) vs Christian County in high-school basketball. Isaiah Palmer one player. Anthony Hickey (Christian County) player of the game. "Kentucky Utilities Sweet 16 Radio Network" mentioned during break. New.

1090 KEXS MO Excelsior Springs - 2000 - "EWTN Radio" mentioned, then TOH ID: "You're listening to KEXS 1090 Excelsior Springs..."

950 KWOF MO Jefferson City - 2006 - Calls during quick bandscan.

1090 unID - 2035 - Taped with South Asian music on southwest wire. Taped again at 2036, 2048 and at 2057 with French mixing in from CBON-12 Mattawa ON and also "1090 AM Community Cooler" at 3:30 just around or immediately after TOH. Possible KULF TX (I need to check kulfradio.com live stream on Wednesday evening).

940 unID - 2109 - Unattended recording with solidgospel.com.

73 and thanks to anyone who listens to any of the unID material.

Saul Chernos
Burnt River ON